A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Back after a long Hiatus - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back after a long Hiatus - a few questions

Hey folks haven't been around for a while. Sorry if this gets a bit long but I've been away and have a few things to ask opinions on. Please bear with me

I previously had a 2002 A4 and kept it for 8 years. Loved it so much I bought a 2009 A4 and just hit 70k miles.

So I'm in the debate of keeping it like I did with the 2002 or trading it in for a certified pre-owned 20012-13. Having no car payment on the 2002 for a few years was great but also a bit painful when I got the 2009

If I do keep the 2009 I'm thinking of a few things like new 18' wheels and tires and adding a Stage 1 APR. When I chipped the 2002 GIAC and APR were the two top options and I went with the GIAC. Loved it and had zero issues, just seems I don't hear much about the GIAC anymore. Any thoughts on a chip these days? I haven't kept up with them.

Another totally different topic. Stereo and mobile phone options. Currently have an iPod connection in the glove which interfaces with my stereo. Old school Gen 4 iPod for the 160g storage. My phone connects with Bluetooth although I haven't gotten the voice commands and address book to work properly.

Sooo. Along with the empty address book and voice command issue, I haven't been able to stream anything else (Pandora, Spotify) via Bluetooth. If the phone connects via Bluetooth I figure I should be able to stream as well but no luck yet.

Any thoughts on keeping/trading in, wheels (best place for Audi OEM replicas) and current phone/stereo issues would be greatly appreciated!

Feels great to be back and thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

Chris in Boston
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GIAC and APR are both totally fine, safe tunes. APR is just more well known. APR is a little ahead in that they just added an e85 tune.

Bluetooth has a couple vary different protocols. Voice is a low bandwidth protocol that you use for phonecalls. There's a high data rate "data" protocol that gets used for streaming audio. From 2013 on, with the best MMI, they added the ability to stream music over bluetooth. OTHERWISE theres a gizmo called Tune2Air that is a bluetooth dongle that connects to your ipod thing in the glovebox.

How's the oil consumption on your 2009?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply Nostromo. I'll look into the Tune2Air and the latest from APR if I end up not trading up. The oil has been buring pretty regularly. More so than any car I've owned. Coming back to the forums alerted me to the class action suit. My dealer and their service team is fantastic so I'm going to look into it on Monday. If it's even the slightest issue they take care of it right away. Never an issue with the Audi of Nashua, NH folks. I'll let ya know what I hear.

Originally Posted by Nostromo
GIAC and APR are both totally fine, safe tunes. APR is just more well known. APR is a little ahead in that they just added an e85 tune.

Bluetooth has a couple vary different protocols. Voice is a low bandwidth protocol that you use for phonecalls. There's a high data rate "data" protocol that gets used for streaming audio. From 2013 on, with the best MMI, they added the ability to stream music over bluetooth. OTHERWISE theres a gizmo called Tune2Air that is a bluetooth dongle that connects to your ipod thing in the glovebox.

How's the oil consumption on your 2009?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpikewireA4
Thanks for the reply Nostromo. I'll look into the Tune2Air and the latest from APR if I end up not trading up. The oil has been buring pretty regularly. More so than any car I've owned. Coming back to the forums alerted me to the class action suit. My dealer and their service team is fantastic so I'm going to look into it on Monday. If it's even the slightest issue they take care of it right away. Never an issue with the Audi of Nashua, NH folks. I'll let ya know what I hear.
Tuning softfware, even APR's, may well give rise to warranty invalidation. I'm not saying it's a certainty, but be aware of it as a distinct possibility.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Tuning softfware, even APR's, may well give rise to warranty invalidation. I'm not saying it's a certainty, but be aware of it as a distinct possibility.
I hear you Roger. I took a chance on my last A4 and it worked out luckily. I have 70k on this one. That's why I'm deciding on keeping vs trading in.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grab a $13 victsing bluetooth/nfc receiver from amazon, and a $13 audi mmi to 3.5mm adapter from ebay.
youll need micro usb to power the receiver.. and pair the bluetooth up.. you have some pretty nice bluetooth streaming..and the unit has no mic.. so all calls default back to the cars built in bluetooth telephone stuff.