A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

BMW guy coming back to Audi - need advice

Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BMW guy coming back to Audi - need advice

Greetings!

I'm an old time Porsche/Audi guy who's had my fill of BMW and I'm coming back to the fold. I need a bit of advice and guidance. My favorite rides of all times were my '95 UrS6 and '95 993. Both super stupid moves to get rid of, but that's water under the bridge. I'm currently a driving a '95 M3 and an '07 328i. Neither bad vehicles, but I'm bored, obsessed with how pretentious they are perceived to be, and my wife just bought a 2010 A4. I'm absolutely blown away with the quality and performance! Audi has come so, so far.

So I'm looking for a unicorn! 2009 - 2012 A4 Avant with sport package (yes including the seats) and either a 6 speed or automatic with paddle shifters. I've always loved the avant. I've read a bunch hot reviews and people seem to really like the cars. The performance data is pretty darn impressive from an acceleration and lateral acceleration perspective as well. Now on to the questions.

Tune - Is anyone running a tune or chip on your cars. The beauty of a turbo car is the immense tune-ability. I'd be putting on an ECS stage 1 or 2 for sure. Is ECS the best tune or are there others I should consider. Any CA emissions pitfalls to avoid?
Suspension - does the sport package cary different spring rates than the standard cars? Do they sit lower?
Transmission - fall back position is a 6 speed. BUT, many cars are automatics with paddle shifters. My wife car is CVT and I just cannot get used to it. Is the standard automatic engaging enough, or will I be bored in a month?

I've done a ton of searching and just can't find the 'sticky' note that has the basics.

Many thanks in advance for the thoughts and advice.

AA
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the only issue with 2009-2012 is possibility of excessive oil consumption. You'll want to look this up and read up - there's a ton of information out there.

Your wife has the CVT which means she has a FWD. Don't do this. quattro drives SO MUCH BETTER. You can really ride the car and it just finds traction all day. All quattro Audi's come in 8 speed auto or manual.

The sports package will have the sports suspension. Sits a little lower and rides a little stiffer.

It seems like 70% of the people on the boards running tunes. APR, GIAC, and Unitronic are the most popular and considered very safe. I'm going with Unitronic in 4000 miles when my warranty expires (last Audi needed a whole new tranny, CVT, and that warranty saved my butt)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Nostromo

I'm super familiar with the oil consumption issue. My wife's audi had new pistons and rings done by audi prior to us purchasing it. Also got a new transmission. The car drives like new.

Great advice on the quattro vs FWD. I'll never go FWD.

AA
Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We currently only offer APR tunes for the A4. But Stage 1 will give you a nice bump in power. Stage 2 requires you to have an exhaust to completely optimize the new software.

I'd definitely stay away from the CVT if you plan to mod. They can be a real PITA.

We offer a great selection of performance parts for your vehicle, everything from brake kits, short shifters, stainless brake lines, clutch/flywheel kits and much more!

Take a look at the link below which features all of our ECS products.

Click HERE

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help!

Jason
Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron,

My wife's 2012 A4q (Premium Plus, B&O, Nav, Sport Package, 8 spd auto) is a terrific car to drive. The sport seats are great and I find the sport suspension to be a pretty good compromise setup for everyday driving and some occasional (when she lets me) enthusiastic driving. Keep in mind: this is not a track car, it is not an RS or M3, it is a really good, really nice everyday driver. I wouldn't want the car without the sport package and my wife agrees. I would opt for a manual transmission, though.