A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

bought a CPO, but unaware it has undercarriage damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Something is very odd with your picture. There is zero grime or roadspray anywhere underneath. How is this possible after 11k miles? And the tire looks brand new, like it hasn't even had a chance to dull up on the tread. Maybe it's just the light shining on it. What's the deal here?
I don't find that to odd. My kid bought a 2009 CPO a few years ago with 22K miles on it and during our test drive we were not comfortable with the tire noise and ride. We had the dealer put a new set of tires on and do an alignment as part of the deal. As to the undercarriage being clean the car was detailed and as part of that it was detailed underneath and came out almost clean as new. I recently just purchased another brand car with 6K miles on it and because it was a few hundred miles away required a set of 50 pictures after the CPO certification process This car was in NH so it had some winter days on it but was stored most of the time. The results were the car was "as new" condition so I wired them the $80K and they transported it to me with the conditions on the contract if there were any flaws I would return the car for a full refund. I kept it.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" As to the undercarriage being clean the car was detailed and as part of that it was detailed underneath and came out almost clean as new."

I suppose that you can request that any part of a car be detailed, but I have never seen the undercarriage cleaning being part of any detailing package I've ever seen, and I've had my car detailed on numerous occasions. I'm certain that you can request any part of car be cleaned however, and a detailer will do it for the right price.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely talk to Audi of America soon.
They'll support you.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In my thirty years of car detailing, I've never seen a dealer detail an undercarriage to the extent yours is (or at all for that matter). It's clean on your car because someone did repair work underneath and tried making the area look uniform. All they had to do was paint over the repair work and that would have hid everything from most glances.

As far as the tires, if they were installed for your purchase, that should have been another chance for any worker to see the damage while the car was lifted.

Overall, I'd be upset. But it doesn't appear to be a big repair. Can you see if any sheet metal is rippled or repainted on the outside of this area?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
" As to the undercarriage being clean the car was detailed and as part of that it was detailed underneath and came out almost clean as new."

I suppose that you can request that any part of a car be detailed, but I have never seen the undercarriage cleaning being part of any detailing package I've ever seen, and I've had my car detailed on numerous occasions. I'm certain that you can request any part of car be cleaned however, and a detailer will do it for the right price.
Needless to say the detailing of the undercarriage was not the same as the top side but here is what this Audi dealer did. In the back of the dealership was a detailing tent where the detailers would do body and interior detailing. Out side the tent was a 2 post car lift . Prior to the exterior detail they would do the engine detail/clean and then put the car up on the lift. They would then do a detergent clean followed by pressure wash of the underside. This was followed by a compressed air dry. Any electrical connectors got a "wire dry" treatment and grease. We didn't see our car being done but were shown one that was in process. So they didn't wax and polish underneath but cleaned it up. That's what I meant by detailing the undercarriage. By the way I have a 4 post lift in my garage and when we got the car home I put it up on the lift and it look almost new with 20K miles on it. I also have a mobile detailer that comes to my house and for an extra $75 they clean my undercarriage and even polish my SS muffler.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got in touch with the sales manager at the dealership over the weekend. He's telling me the same story that the damaged undercarriage is acceptable for CPO and that the definition of CPO is like new not new. I told him with the 300 point inspection this should of been caught, noted and presented to the customer during the time of purchase. He's now offering me to fix this damage free of charge at his body shop.

For those of you asking which dealership this is. It is Palisades Audi in Nyack, NY.

Here are a few more pictures with different angles. As a customer how do we know if something meets Audi's CPO requirement or not?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are simply jerking you around.hopinnthst you get frustrated enough and drop it.

You need to go to the GM and stop wasting your time with the incompetetent Sales Manager. No way I would accept that vehicle as being CPO'd or "like new." Your vehicle was either in an accident that damaged the underside from running something over or suffered damage from a lift or improper use of jack stands. Either way it looks like the plastic undercarriage cover will need to be replaced and no further bodywork needed. But, I could be wrong as my car is still on order and I've never seen the underside of an A4.

You need to decide what you think is fair compensation and ask the GM for it. The flippant attitude the dealership personnel seems to have isn't a good sign and suggests they've played this game before. Keep at it and good luck.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=t00rt0g;24649857]I got in touch with the sales manager at the dealership over the weekend. He's telling me the same story that the damaged undercarriage is acceptable for CPO and that the definition of CPO is like new not new. I told him with the 300 point inspection this should of been caught, noted and presented to the customer during the time of purchase. He's now offering me to fix this damage free of charge at his body shop.

For those of you asking which dealership this is. It is Palisades Audi in Nyack, NY.

Here are a few more pictures with different angles. As a customer how do we know if something meets Audi's CPO requirement or not?

I didn't see the 1st picture in your 1st post but seeing it now I don't understand how you did not see this when you looked at the car. The other thought is did this happen after you purchased the car prior to the dealer turning it over to you. Unless the body filler is covering a hole this may not be a problem. On the other hand the body filler is most likely filling a dent and eventually this will rust from the inside out. Maybe in a few years. So if you can't get the GM to give you your money back if that is what you want (I think you have a 30 day window in NY) then I would have them fix it and replace the rubber mud guard. Other then that there is not much you can do. Also keep records and document conversations and send to AOA.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow... If that's a hole in the bodywork then the Sales Manager and Salesmen must poster boys for Morons. No way that can be remotely defined as "like new."

Stop wasting your time with the ignorant Sales Manager and get AOA and the GM involved.