A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Brakes Squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Squeaking?

I have a 2014 P+ A4 and I noticed that my brakes squeak once I get to a slow speed as I'm coming to a stop. Audi told me that all of the cars in their lineup have this issue and it's due to a build up of metallic dust. They agreed to look at my car anyway and after a week of communicating with Audi Corporate they found that my brakes were "squeaking more than normal" and changed the brake pads. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this issue as the whole thing just seems odd to me.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are squeaking like mad at slow speeds. I've got my 35000 mile service coming up and I'm going to get new pads.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE: I used a new wheel cleaner this weekend: Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. The squeaking has gone away! It must have carried off whatever metallic dust was stuck on the rotors.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
UPDATE: I used a new wheel cleaner this weekend: Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. The squeaking has gone away! It must have carried off whatever metallic dust was stuck on the rotors.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS

Audi had told me that there was a batch of brake pads that had this issue so you may want to have them check yours out. When I picked up my car the service attendant was on the phone with another customer and he was telling him the same thing.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The usual cause for brake pad squealing is vibration of the rear of the brake pad to the caliper piston. Some causes are extremely hard metallic (usually race) pads but not normally installed in everyday cars. Some pads come with a bonded non metallic backing which dampens the noise problem. Some also come with a non-metallic shim and others suggest brake pad lubricant be applied on the rear of the pad during assembly.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
The usual cause for brake pad squealing is vibration of the rear of the brake pad to the caliper piston. Some causes are extremely hard metallic (usually race) pads but not normally installed in everyday cars. Some pads come with a bonded non metallic backing which dampens the noise problem. Some also come with a non-metallic shim and others suggest brake pad lubricant be applied on the rear of the pad during assembly.
Yeah, that's how I understand it. Take the pad off, put anti-squeal paste around the contact zone, and it should stop the resonance. That's why I was suprised the Sonax stopped the noise. The first time they started squealing was when the car was left outside, undriven for 2 weeks. It *IS* a highly effective cleaner for removing rust and brake dust, and the rotors would have caught some of it while I was spraying down the rims... maybe there was some gunk causing the pad to sit slightly unevenly?
Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, that's how I understand it. Take the pad off, put anti-squeal paste around the contact zone, and it should stop the resonance. That's why I was suprised the Sonax stopped the noise. The first time they started squealing was when the car was left outside, undriven for 2 weeks. It *IS* a highly effective cleaner for removing rust and brake dust, and the rotors would have caught some of it while I was spraying down the rims... maybe there was some gunk causing the pad to sit slightly unevenly?
I suspect you only have a temporary fix as the Sonax is acting like a lubricant. As it dries up the squeal will most likely come back. How many miles on the pads. I assume they were replaced before.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A few hard stops from ~70mph to zero will clear the buildup. It happens on my rear right from time to time when I don't push it hard for a while. I have stock rear rotors and pads. There is a guy at work whose rear disks look like **** - he never rides them hard. These things need to be exercised to stay in good shape.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
A few hard stops from ~70mph to zero will clear the buildup. It happens on my rear right from time to time when I don't push it hard for a while. I have stock rear rotors and pads. There is a guy at work whose rear disks look like **** - he never rides them hard. These things need to be exercised to stay in good shape.
My new commute, I'm luckily get get above 45.... It sucks. Stop and go madness.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My new commute, I'm luckily get get above 45.... It sucks. Stop and go madness.
Hard stops will not correct the problem. As I mentioned the problem is with the back of the pad vibrating on the caliper piston.

Quick Reply: Brakes Squeaking?