A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Buying a CPO 2013 A4 Premium Plus, anything to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a CPO 2013 A4 Premium Plus, anything to look out for?

Hey all,

I've decided to buy a CPO 2013 A4 Premium Plus with around 20k miles.

Is there anything I should look out for?

Also, is it the right decision to go CPO instead of just used?

Should I buy any of the maintenance or service plans? (Audi care, Audi care plus, Certified pre-owned contract plans, etc)
Old 02-20-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smashhell
Hey all,

Should I buy any of the maintenance or service plans? (Audi care, Audi care plus, Certified pre-owned contract plans, etc)
If it's a CPO car it should be OK. Just go over the car yourself and if you see anything have them take care of it. Good Luck
Old 02-20-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey all,

Besides the usual pre-owned checklist, I'd make sure to review the CPO checklist line by line and ensure the dealer completed the reconditioning process. Unless you don't like or unable to do your own maintenance, I'd skip Audi Care. The plan is mostly made up of inspections and I'm not a fan of visiting the dealer unless absolutley needed. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have warranty coverage for awhile, so that greatly reduces your financial risk and increases your enjoyment factor. The '13 model and newer seem to be rid of the various bugs that plagued earlier B8 A4's and they are very nice cars. I would suggest reading over the maintainance schedule closely - dealers will fleece you if you are not in control and you need to do what is called for, but not 400-500 worth of maintainance every time you drive in.
When you pick up the car, make sure that you take at least a 30 minute test drive over various terrain prior to signing the paperwork and DO NOT sign if it appears anything is amiss.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all,

Buying CPO is worth it. As other posters have said, go over the car, and the CPO checklist carefully BEFORE buying it.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $.02 after owning a variety of Audi, VW, etc.:
  1. As others stated, review the CPO checklist. It is extensive. Anything close to exceeding wear tolerance for replacement can be challenged or negotiated.
  2. I would ask the dealer to see the detailed maintenance records. I've done this before and they have complied. They can redact (black out) any personal information on the records to protect privacy and still give you detailed service history.
  3. MOST importantly: I would take the car to a good body shop and have them inspect it. They can quickly tell you whether the car was in an accident that caused damage not easily visible on the exterior of the car (easily visible = panel seams of varying width, subtle misalignment of doors, etc.). You want them to look underneath.

It's important to note that buying a CPO doesn't mean that the car hasn't been smashed. CPO means only that it strictly meets the criteria on the CPO checklist. Don't trust CarFax either. Their information is only as good as whatever is reported and available to them.

My take on Audi Care is that it economically makes sense if you intend to keep the car through the service intervals in the plan and intend to use dealer service. The Audi T&Cs (http://tinyurl.com/koyuetx) says that they don't pro-rate the cost if purchased later but I have heard they will. Read the T&Cs. There's a five-year max limit to reach the mileage that makes it a non-starter for people who don't drive a lot.

CPO is a solid value. There's real value in the reconditioning, inspection, and extended warranty.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm actually also in the market for a CPO right now and this thread has been helpful.

Regarding brake pad thickness, does anyone know how thick new ones are supposed to be? IIRC, CPO only requires them to be at 50% thickness or more.