A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

Common B8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common B8 problems

Considering getting an A4 avant, current generation. What are some common mechanical problems that are known or crop up? Is there a consensus on Audi reliability? Is the Audi made and assembled in Germany? Any other parting thoughts for a prospective buyer?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhaung
Considering getting an A4 avant, current generation. What are some common mechanical problems that are known or crop up? Is there a consensus on Audi reliability? Is the Audi made and assembled in Germany? Any other parting thoughts for a prospective buyer?
The problems I've seen most frequently are all fixable under warranty via TSBs. These are
1. Excessive oil consumption
2. buffeting noise when sunroof open
3. Vibrating steering wheel during low-speed turns

There are operating annoyances and idiosyncratic controls that are not due to things getting broken, but are the result of design decisions made by Audi. They are quirks that you get used to after you drive the car for a while, like the between-sets location of the ignition on older Saabs.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

FYI, my 2010 avant was eating oil like crazy. They literally replaced all pistons and rings in the engine with the "updated versions" and the oil level doesn't move now one bit... i can't imagine that' a cheap fix for audi! Does anyone with 2012's still have that issue on the 2.0t?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I also had an injector fail about 2 weeks ago which left me broken down. 2010 avant 2.0t with 28k miles FYI.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by perdido34
The problems I've seen most frequently are all fixable under warranty via TSBs. These are
1. Excessive oil consumption
2. buffeting noise when sunroof open
3. Vibrating steering wheel during low-speed turns
Based purely on anecdotal evidence gathered here and on other forums, it seems like the above three (+ vibrations due to bushings) have been resolved for 2012.

The only problem I have noticed are a few fuel injector failures, although I am not sure whether they were for 2012 or earlier models. And as I read more about FSI engines, I wonder whether these problems are caused by impurities in gas that somehow block tight channels, perhaps because of inadequate or defective fuel filters, or perhaps the injectors are in some way under-designed for the higher pressures encountered.

Any other common problem that sticks out? I am interested as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. Had a fuel injector pump failure at ~24k miles. Was in the dealer for 4 days for repairs.
2. Oil consumption issues for the last 6 months. Went to the dealer 3wks ago for a replaced crank shaft seal and ECU update. So far oil consumption is holding.
3. Had the engine light go on 2 days ago, back to dealer it went this morning. A friend with a diagnostic tool, states that it was a boost pressure regulation issue.

I really enjoyed the A4 but these issues are really piling up. If it weren't for warranty, these repairs would have been expensive.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To date (knock on wood), I have had no problems with the 2011 A4 Sedan. I have owned two earlier models, a B6 and B7 avant. We still have the B7 avant. From my experience, the reliability and performance have constantly improved over previous model years.

To be clear, Audis are not as reliable as a Toyota, but the driving experience is a little difference....
Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Loafer123
To date (knock on wood), I have had no problems with the 2011 A4 Sedan. I have owned two earlier models, a B6 and B7 avant. We still have the B7 avant. From my experience, the reliability and performance have constantly improved over previous model years.

To be clear, Audis are not as reliable as a Toyota, but the driving experience is a little difference....
Another problem I came across. Audi not selling A4 Avants in US. Only selling All Roads for 2013. How is that?!?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

New here as well. I purchased a 2011 A4 Avant 6 months ago. It now has 11,000 miles (mostly highway due to out of state commute). It is now disabled in a dealership 320 miles away from me after an engine light and at least two problems detected.

I am told about the following bad parts:

1. purge valve
2. leaking fuel tank
3. cracked filler neck (might be same problem as gas tank??)

My loaner (a 2012 A4 Avant) runs much smoother at idle and on the road than does mine. No steering wheel vibration, which is so very nice. Mine also produced noticeable exhaust. I am curious to see if the work performed corrects these issues.

Also not working is the automatic hatch system. This I will have addressed by my dealership when I get it back to Ohio.

I WANT to love this car, but the numerous bad parts have my very concerned at this point. For $40+k, I expected better quality. This car makes my old Land Rover look like a dream machine. I'm having some buyers remorse. Hoping to fall in like again...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dont' forget the notorious water pumps!!! In fact, I'm going to go out and check my coolant level right now! I suggest everyone do the same.
My 09 'A4 has been awesome except for the initial bugs mentioned above (although I;ve had no issues with the fuel injectors) which were covered under warranty. I have over 100KKMs on her.....

Quick Reply: Common B8 problems