A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Correct way to change oil on A4

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
We need to bring you into the new millennium. The Greens chased all the auto makers waving their finger about all the hazardous used oil dripping out of oil pans. In response the industry started doing business differently. The maker of the drain pan machines a class 2A thread. Back in the day they used class 2B. The 2A fit is very tight, and intended for a single use. When the pan arrives at the engine assembly area the plug with a microencapsulated sealant is already installed and it is super tight. It is a one time use bolt. VW intends for it never to be removed. Extraction is the published method for changing oil.

Some people (even dealer techs) cannot understand that extraction is the same as using gravity to change oil. They take the plug out. When they do that the class 2A fit is lost. When you purchase a new plug, it will not be a 2A thread. Now you are strictly relying on the sealing ring to hold back the tide. The lack of ability of a sealing ring to prevent drips is what brought out the Green shaking fingers in the first place.

The new plug from Audi is a one time use device. Once installed the sealant is released. When you remove it, there is no sealant, and the class 2A thread has partially deformed the threads on the screw. The deformation becomes less and less every time, and that leads to a new oil pan. I am not selling plugs here, just reporting on the engineering.

I am sure a lot of people have done their oil change the 1973 way, and being lucky their bung hole does not leak.

There are also a lot of people that are having free oil pans paid for by Audi because they realize that dealer mechanics have removed the first plug and destroyed the fit. I would suggest if the dealer wants to sell you a new oil pan, you contact Audi and let them know the cat is out of the bag concerning the "cross threaded oil plug" and ask them to pony up.
I'm not sure your comments are accurate. Class A threads are external and class B are internal. According to the Unified Thread Standard...

Classes 1A, 2A, 3A apply to external threads; Classes 1B, 2B, 3B apply to internal threads.

Class 1 threads are loosely fitting threads intended for ease of assembly or use in a dirty environment.

Class 2 threads are the most common. They are designed to maximize strength considering typical machine shop capability and machine practice.

Class 3 threads are used for closer tolerances.

Class 2 threads are common, so why would this drain plug be more susceptible to damage than all the other class 2 bolts/fasteners?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the info guys.

I had the local shop I used,reuse the drain plug. But the car never leaked oil.. it was never on the ground, or that engine shield.. because we removed that shield every time to get to the drain oil plug.

I'm just going to get the extractor for the future use.

I think im getting screwed by the dealership, but I'll just deal with it.. because I'd rather pay the $375 than argue with them and perhaps lose out on the free stage 2 oil fix.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm thinking about buying this one.
Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator : Amazon.com : Automotive

Since they did Stage 1 and Stage 2 on my car are 79K and 82K...the oil is all new. But I'm thinking about changing it at 85K anyway just to keep my regular interval, and make it easier to remember.

That way I don't have to get under the car anymore.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfo
Class 2 threads are common, so why would this drain plug be more susceptible to damage than all the other class 2 bolts/fasteners?
Especially if the plug is, as I assume, steel, screwing into relatively softer aluminum. I can understand the drain pan threads getting damaged by over-tightening or cross-threading the plug, but a plug needing to be thrown away every time it's screwed into (presumably) softer material? Now IF they've made the plug out of some super soft material in an effort to make it the sacrificial component during improper fitment rather than the drain pan, THAT I could understand. But that's not the reasoning that has been presented.

It's moot to me, I use extraction simply because it's easier. But the whole "drain plug is a one time use device" doesn't make sense, at least not the way it's described.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

These guys have very good deals on the Pela extraction pumps:

http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelapumps.html

Ports, don't overlook the value of periodically getting under the car to check for damage, other things that are going wrong, etc...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
Moviela, your engineering explanation doesn't shell any light on why a car manufacturer would design a hole and a plug for it that are not meant to be used, given the extra cost and reliability side if it.
That is a good question. The existing tooling that includes the hole might be expensive to alter. The pan might be used in other versions that require the hole and this avoids stocking two similar parts. The hole might be necessary for successful stamping of the pan. Sometimes flushing solvents are used to remove oil that is contaminated. As an inspection hole to view inside.

Here is a question. Why is there a dipstick tube?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moviela
Here is a question. Why is there a dipstick tube?
My understanding is that the dipstick tube is used to measure the level of the oil after a change. There is a universal dipstick for use at dealerships - it has a scale. I saw that thing online. I'd think that the electronic meter relies on averaging over time and is not suitable for this purpose - and as you know, it takes some time to get a reading from it after changing the oil. These are just guesses, of course.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
These guys have very good deals on the Pela extraction pumps:

http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelapumps.html

Ports, don't overlook the value of periodically getting under the car to check for damage, other things that are going wrong, etc...
uberwgn, you're right, that is good to do once in a while as well. I suppose that will happen every 10-20K miles anyway for tire rotations and so on.

I'm looking into the extractors you linked as well. thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Ports, the Pela is a popular product for oil extraction.

You can also check at your local marine supply store as they pretty much all offer similar devices but I still think the Pela is a superior design.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

That's why I bought a dipstick, so I can have a more accurate measurement of the oil level than I can get with the MMI.

Despite what the owner's manual says, after refilling my crankcase with 5 quarts of oil, both the MMI and the dipstick showed that I needed another 1/4 of a quart.

I'd like to point out that when I get my oil changed at my dealership, the oil comes up higher on the dipstick than I allow it to get when I change the oil myself.

Quick Reply: Correct way to change oil on A4