A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dealer says "normal oil consumption is 1 qt per 2500 miles"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer says "normal oil consumption is 1 qt per 2500 miles"??

I have a 2010 A4. It seemed to be using a lot of oil, and the dealer did the Stage 1 "fix" about a year ago. I still thought it was using a fair amount of oil. I brought the car in about 1300 miles ago to complain about it, and the dealer said he would "start the oil consumption test" when I brought in the car in six weeks later for the 35K service. The dealer topped off the oil and sent me on my way.

I brought it in today. The oil level indicator still shows MAX. Now the service tech says the oil consumption is normal because the "add oil" light didn't go on. He said, "Adding a quart every 2500 miles is normal oil consumption."

Your take?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The dealer simply fills the oil so full (without triggering the warning) that it will continue to show "MAX" in the MMI for some time. Oldest trick in the book

In reality, a quart over 2500 miles is far less than what others are complaining about. If it was my car it would bug me. Mine is consuming about a quart over my oil change interval (7,000 miles). Our V6 Audi doesn't consume any measurable oil over its drain interval.

Last edited by uberwgn; 04-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perdido34
I have a 2010 A4. It seemed to be using a lot of oil, and the dealer did the Stage 1 "fix" about a year ago. I still thought it was using a fair amount of oil. I brought the car in about 1300 miles ago to complain about it, and the dealer said he would "start the oil consumption test" when I brought in the car in six weeks later for the 35K service. The dealer topped off the oil and sent me on my way.

I brought it in today. The oil level indicator still shows MAX. Now the service tech says the oil consumption is normal because the "add oil" light didn't go on. He said, "Adding a quart every 2500 miles is normal oil consumption."

Your take?
My 2011 was going through about 1 quart every 1500 miles so I took it in for stage 1. After they did the stage 1, I ask them what they considered normal, and when I should add oil again. The service manager told me I should not have to add oil between oil changes. I thought this was odd, since even my 96 A4 required 1 quart between every oil change.

I laughed and told him I've always had to add oil between changes, and he told me to bring it in if the light comes on again. So 1800 miles after my stage 1, the light came on. I called him and he told me to bring it in and they would do stage 2.

So I did, I brought it to another dealer and traded it in with both the service and oil lights on. I just looked at the paperwork, and my 2011 A4 had 34,115 miles on it when I traded it in for a different make a few weeks ago.

They just don't want to do a recall and rebuild tons of engines. So to answer your question, normal oil consumption should be getting your oil changed at the suggested interval (I did it every 7,500, but the dealer and book say 10,000), and not having to add any oil.

The dealers are making tons on doing these stage 1 and stage 2 repairs and happy every time you come in. I got sick of their "top of the line loaners", free Starbucks and free car washes.

Good luck with Stage 2, please tell us how it goes....
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Uber, get stage 1. You don't want carbon deposits in the intake.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My Q5 2.0T is also going through a quart of oil every 2,000 miles. It has 43K miles on it. My 06 B7 2.0T never uses any oil. It has 93K miles on it. What exactly is stage 1 and 2? Thx
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 09' A4 is about a quart every 3,500mi. As long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm okay.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by perdido34
"Adding a quart every 2500 miles is normal oil consumption."

Your take?
Not long ago, they used to even claim up to a quart per 1,000 miles is "within specs." We all know that's BS. My 1.8T AWM (Passat) has gone about 4,700 miles since the last oil change. The level on the dipstick is down by about 1/8". Oh, did I mention I have over 258K on the odo?

Some people think these problems are due to improper break-in. Sometimes they are, but I can't imagine it ever being to this extent. I think it is mostly due to lousy manufacturing quality control. These engines shouldn't leak/burn this much oil. Clearly many don't, those those that do are not within spec.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
Not long ago, they used to even claim up to a quart per 1,000 miles is "within specs." We all know that's BS. My 1.8T AWM (Passat) has gone about 4,700 miles since the last oil change. The level on the dipstick is down by about 1/8". Oh, did I mention I have over 258K on the odo?

Some people think these problems are due to improper break-in. Sometimes they are, but I can't imagine it ever being to this extent. I think it is mostly due to lousy manufacturing quality control. These engines shouldn't leak/burn this much oil. Clearly many don't, those those that do are not within spec.
It appears that the demographics who buy these cars either do not mind , have the dealer keep filling or have never heard that cars aren't supposed to use oil.I would also bet there are significantly more that do use oil than those that don't. Any gearhead/motorhead type would tell you that the technology of today shouldn't allow this to happen. I see the VW folks have the same complaint. Learn to live with it.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may get 1100 miles and I need to add a half quart, but seems to be related how I drive: after a 100 mph cruise, some oil is reduced-- good thing I check regularly. I just added a catch can/ 'hope this reduces amount, but as Jagtoes days, some of us love the cars and don't care.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

My first few changes was about 1 quart for 8-10k Miles but this time I added 2. This is my 3rd A4 and my B5 and B7 both were about 1 quart per change so that is expected.

I'm due for my 35,000 mile service and was wondering what the stage 1 & 2 are that I saw earlier in the posts.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealer says "normal oil consumption is 1 qt per 2500 miles"??