A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Double rant ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Double rant ...

I was driving to an appointment today I hit a pothole. The car continued to drive fine and the tpms alert never came on, so I drove another five blocks.

But then I started to experience a slight rumbling on the front passenger side, so I pulled over to the curb and got out to inspect. Just as I thought, there was a big hole in the sidewall of my Continental DWS tire.

To make a long story short, I jacked the car up, and attempted to remove the wheel bolts. But I was stopped on a hill, and my pulling on the lug wrench caused my car to move about 1/2 an inch. That's when my factory jack buckled.

It took a little time, but I was finally able to remove the jack. The screw part now had a deep bend in it.

1) Why the hell does a $40k+ car like an Audi come with such a flimsy pos jack?

2) This is the third Continental DWS tire I have lost to a pothole, the sidewalls blowing out in every case. Why do these f----n tires have such flimsy sidewalls?

OK, I'm done. Thanks for listening.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I was driving to an appointment today I hit a pothole. The car continued to drive fine and the tpms alert never came on, so I drove another five blocks.

But then I started to experience a slight rumbling on the front passenger side, so I pulled over to the curb and got out to inspect. Just as I thought, there was a big hole in the sidewall of my Continental DWS tire.

To make a long story short, I jacked the car up, and attempted to remove the wheel bolts. But I was stopped on a hill, and my pulling on the lug wrench caused my car to move about 1/2 an inch. That's when my factory jack buckled.

It took a little time, but I was finally able to remove the jack. The screw part now had a deep bend in it.

1) Why the hell does a $40k+ car like an Audi come with such a flimsy pos jack?

2) This is the third Continental DWS tire I have lost to a pothole, the sidewalls blowing out in every case. Why do these f----n tires have such flimsy sidewalls?

OK, I'm done. Thanks for listening.
Unfortunately all car jacks are designed to function on a level hard surface. So if you were on a hill you put yourself in a dangerous situation . If this would have happened when the tire is removed you could have been hurt. First you should always loosen the lugs before you jack up the car and next you need to drive slowly to a flat location. Also you need to block one of the wheel to prevent the car from moving. As for the tire it won't matter what brand and it appears the pot hole was significant. By the way did you bend your rim. I'd get that checked out.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Protip: always loosen the lug nuts while the car is on the ground; then jack the car and continue removing the lug nuts..errr...lug bolts in our case
Old 04-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do feel his pain though boys. I have just moved to LA and the number of pot holes in the road in unbelievable.