A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Drive Select with manual transmisison

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Select with manual transmisison

I just got a base (Komfort in Canada) 2016 A4 with manual transmission. No MMI, no sport. Last manual A4 available. Being the last one off the line, it had S line trim as a freebie. One thing it has is Drive Select (button) and I can't figure out what it is supposed to adjust. There is nothing in the owner's manual to describe what it would do on a car with manual transmission. The only thing that I can figure it can change is the steering. I actually haven't got around to trying it yet but I was just (finally) reading the manual and didn't see anything. Anybody know that it does?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You should be able to find the following in the user's guide (Audi Drive Select):
You can toggle between the settings: Efficiency, Comfort, Auto, Dynamic.
Without furter ADS options the following is adjusted:
*Engine Response
*Steering (amount of assist)
*Klimat Control (Efficiency)
*Cruise Control (response)

If you have "Dynamic Steering" in addition to varying power assist also the steering directnes is speed dependent. Check if 1N8 is in your option code matrix.
If you have adaptive dampers, the code 1BL should be in the matrix.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
You should be able to find the following in the user's guide (Audi Drive Select):
You can toggle between the settings: Efficiency, Comfort, Auto, Dynamic.
Without furter ADS options the following is adjusted:
*Engine Response
*Steering (amount of assist)
*Klimat Control (Efficiency)
*Cruise Control (response)

If you have "Dynamic Steering" in addition to varying power assist also the steering directnes is speed dependent. Check if 1N8 is in your option code matrix.
If you have adaptive dampers, the code 1BL should be in the matrix.
I did read all of that in the manual and I'm not sure any of those would apply to a manual transmission. I also have a 2013 A6 (automatic) with the MMI and when I set it to dynamic, I believe the gear ratios change so that it shifts quicker. That wouldn't apply to a manual. I didn't see anything about climate control or cruise control (automatic?). I'm thinking the only thing that could be affected is steering.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not. I had a manual (B8 08) with ADS. The engine response changed with the setting (both pedal sensitivity and less filterring). The air con and cruise control has nothing to do with gear box.

With automatic transmission the same setting adjust both engine response and gear change points. (Gear Sport mode can then be set On/Off separately with the gear selector.)
Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Why not. I had a manual (B8 08) with ADS. The engine response changed with the setting (both pedal sensitivity and less filterring). The air con and cruise control has nothing to do with gear box.

With automatic transmission the same setting adjust both engine response and gear change points. (Gear Sport mode can then be set On/Off separately with the gear selector.)
I see your points. My manual says that the engine and transmission respond quicker. It is a bit frustrating when reading these manuals that try to deal with every model trim within one book. They could say the engine responds quicker and the transmission responds quicker seperately so that it is more explicit. I was thinking that with the 2017 North American model the manual wouldn't have to worry about the manual transmission anymore but it also covers the S4 as well.
When I got my A4 it was the start of winter and I put (downsized 16") snow tires on immediately and haven't even thought of performance driving yet.

By the way, my manual has...
Engine/Transmission
Steering
Dynamic Steering*
Adaptive Dampers*
Sport Differential*
Adaptive Cruise Control*
Engine Sound*
Anything with an asterisk is not relevant to my car. Again, if they had put Engine and Transmission on different lines it would have been better.