Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 282524

Default A few questions about the B8 A4.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I am looking into buying a 2009-2010 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T Prestige and had a few questions. I test drove a 2009 A4 2.0T Prestige yesterday and had three main complaints.

Firstly, the steering wheel was manually adjusted and tilt only. Due to my height (6'5") to sit comfortably I needed the seat back all the way. Without being able to adjust the steering wheel telescopically I found that I had to adjust the seat forward to get in a good driving position. My research seems to show that the car should have an electronically adjusted steering wheel with both telescoping and tilt. Hopefully someone can shed some light on why this particular one did not.

Secondly, I prefer my car to have more prominent side bolsters which I found absent in the A4 I drove. I assume that this would not be an issue in an A4 with the S-Line package but I want to make sure that I won't lose some of the comfort features such as the adjustable lumbar and heated seats if I were to purchase one with the aforementioned package.

Thirdly and finally, the car had a considerable amount of road noise and vibration when driving at highway speeds. To be honest it felt as if I were sitting on a sander there was so much vibration. The noise was also quite annoying, though the fantastic Bang and Olufsen sound system did help to ease the annoyance factor.

Thank you very much for an input you can provide.
jn259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 7528

The steering wheel is not electric, but does tilt and telescope. At least my '11 does, and I think even my '98 B5 did. You get taller bolsters with the sports seats, which come as part of the sports package, which comes as part of the s-line package. You don't lose any adjustments, in fact you gain some: the front bottom cushion will adjust forward/back for longer/shorter thigh support. Can't help with the road noise/vibration, I would suspect that to be an issue more of the wheels/tires than anything else. Though I will say if you are shopping for an automatic, an '11 or newer will have lower highway noise, as it comes with an 8sp auto (vs. 6sp in previous years) which keeps the engine RPMs much lower at highway speeds.
dscline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 213938

The '09's had a fair amount of trouble with vibration at highway speeds - most of this was attributed to the control arms, which were redesigned in the 2010 model. There are threads on here that talk about this and Audi was replacing the control arms if needed. The regular seats are lousy for long trips - poor support and get more uncomfortable as the miles grow. The sport seats are significantly better. Of course, the oil consumption issue in '09 and '10 is one that anyone needs to take into account when buying one of these cars.
I had an '09 Premium Plus for 1.5 years and I would not wish it on anyone - an absolute non-stop headache. My best guess is that a Prestige would be only that much worse. Check Consumer Reports - a lot of black marks.
shs92645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs92645 View Post
The '09's had a fair amount of trouble with vibration at highway speeds - most of this was attributed to the control arms, which were redesigned in the 2010 model. There are threads on here that talk about this and Audi was replacing the control arms if needed. The regular seats are lousy for long trips - poor support and get more uncomfortable as the miles grow. The sport seats are significantly better. Of course, the oil consumption issue in '09 and '10 is one that anyone needs to take into account when buying one of these cars.
I had an '09 Premium Plus for 1.5 years and I would not wish it on anyone - an absolute non-stop headache. My best guess is that a Prestige would be only that much worse. Check Consumer Reports - a lot of black marks.
Thanks for replying! So if I were to go for a 2011 would the oil consumption issue and vibration likely be more or less solved?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 169569

I haven't heard anything about "vibration" issues, but the oil consumption problem is clearly not resolved.

The Sport pkg yields sport seats, I think the S Line trim does too.

uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwgn View Post
I haven't heard anything about "vibration" issues, but the oil consumption problem is clearly not resolved.

The Sport pkg yields sport seats, I think the S Line trim does too.
So even if I were to buy a 2011 it would still eat oil? That's unfortunate.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User

Not all of them consume oil. Some may and some may have had the Phase 1 and the Phase 2 repairs.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, I'm new to audis, could you post a link with information about this's issue?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
AudiWorld Super User

Here's a good place to start:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2822386

Phase 1 is basically changing a seal on the crankshaft, changing the "pcv" vavle and re-programming the ECU.

Phase 2 is far more invasive including replacement of pistons and rings, IIRC.

Phase 3 replace long block

My '11 car consumes a fair amount of oil. I really should take it in for the low-level repair. That appears to correct this oil consumption issue for many.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...ight=oil+steps
Old 07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement