A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglights

Doing some research on replacement foglight bulbs for my new ride. I'm after a closer match to the HID's color temp and I've seen the threads on coated bulbs like the Ziza, Piaa, etc. Has anyone been able to find a canubus H11 LED bulb that doesn't trigger errors? Or does anyone have long term feedback on the HID options?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E92MPower
Doing some research on replacement foglight bulbs for my new ride. I'm after a closer match to the HID's color temp and I've seen the threads on coated bulbs like the Ziza, Piaa, etc. Has anyone been able to find a canubus H11 LED bulb that doesn't trigger errors? Or does anyone have long term feedback on the HID options?

I've been wondering the same thing. The standard foglight bulbs look like crap next to the sweet HID lamps and DRL. Is the factory foglight bulb an H11?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
I've been wondering the same thing. The standard foglight bulbs look like crap next to the sweet HID lamps and DRL. Is the factory foglight bulb an H11?

It depends on the year for the B8. It used to be H8 but Audi changed it in '13 or '14 to H11. I know the Ziza and Piaa bulbs will match when on but I'm not s fan of tinted bulbs as it reduces light output and looks cheap with the blue bulbs showing through the lens. I may need to get over it since our options seem limited. I'll go with Piaa since I'm familiar with the brand and the Ziza bulbs seem to get mixed reviews.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

There may be a better option. These folks have an HID foglight kit for the A4.

HID KIT - CANADA. AbsoluteHID is #1 for HID Conversion Kits & Replacement HID Bulbs. Your One Stop HID Shop! - Absolute HID Canada

I've used their HID low beam kit for my Porsche, and it's been excellent.

I'm going to talk to them about their foglight kit to see whether it will work in my 2014 Allroad.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

There may be a better option. These folks have an HID foglight kit for the A4.

HID KIT - CANADA. AbsoluteHID is #1 for HID Conversion Kits & Replacement HID Bulbs. Your One Stop HID Shop! - Absolute HID Canada

I've used their HID low beam kit for my Porsche, and it's been excellent.

I'm going to talk to them about their foglight kit to see whether it will work in my 2014 Allroad.

Good find! Let me know what you find out. We do have several options for HID H11 kits, but my concern is that the bulb length will be a bit closer to the plastic lens and cause a hot spot or crazing on the lens.

I also want to avoid any error codes and it needs to be plug and play.

I've purchased from these folks before and haven't had any issues.
DDM Tuning : DDM HID Kits

Post up some photos of the Porsche.

Last edited by E92MPower; 01-28-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good find! Let me know what you find out. We do have several options for HID H11 kits, but my concern is that the bulb length will be a bit closer to the plastic lens and cause a hot spot or crazing on the lens.

I also want to avoid any error codes and it needs to be plug and play.

I've purchased from these folks before and haven't had any issues.
DDM Tuning : DDM HID Kits

Post up some photos of the Porsche.
Well, since you asked...

This is one of my favourites of my car, which I took somewhere along, or near, the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago. I got lucky with the light, and the background (well, everything really).
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, since you asked...

This is one of my favourites of my car, which I took somewhere along, or near, the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago. I got lucky with the light, and the background (well, everything really).

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Great photo skills and yes the background is amazing! Love P cars! Is it your daily? Please tell me you don't drive that beauty in the snow.

Ok I was just on Audizine and found this link on the B8 S4 forum. Looks like the H11 HID kits work. Here is the link to one of the kits they mentioned so we can continue to do some research.

Amazon.com: XENTEC H11 (H8/H9) 3000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (Golden Yellow): Automotive Amazon.com: XENTEC H11 (H8/H9) 3000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (Golden Yellow): Automotive
Old 01-28-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Great photo skills and yes the background is amazing! Love P cars! Is it your daily? Please tell me you don't drive that beauty in the snow.

Ok I was just on Audizine and found this link on the B8 S4 forum. Looks like the H11 HID kits work. Here is the link to one of the kits they mentioned so we can continue to do some research.

Amazon.com: XENTEC H11 (H8/H9) 3000K Advanced Slim Alloy Ballast HID Xenon Kit (Golden Yellow): Automotive
Thanks. It's a great joy to drive. It goes into hibernation Nov 1, and comes out again May 1. Each year, it's like getting a new, and wonderful car.

The Allroad has replaced my much-loved 528iT, which I've not yet had the heart to sell. I've owned Bimmers for over 18 years straight, and I've wrenched them all, lots. Not easy to leave the brand.

I have a call into the Cdn place to discuss their HID foglight kit.

I'll have to remove the black louvered panel and have a look at my bulbs. I assume there's a small clip which I would depress to gain access to the bulb?

BTW, as you've mentioned, it's essential that any HID kit have a CANBUS Digital Error-cancelling set-up.

Last edited by roger_1; 01-28-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

It used to be H8 but Audi changed it in '13 or '14 to H11.
Actually that's backwards - facelift (B8.5) is running the H8 ('13 and on for NA), '12 and earlier on the H11. Seems like a backwards move as I believe the primary difference is the wattage: H8 = 35 watts, H11 = 55 watts - though I've noticed my fog light lenses tend to steam when they get wet - maybe the H11s were just too hot for the updated housing.

I've been exploring changing them as well but have been looking to LED's as an option vs an HID conversion. Not sure what kind of light output would be lossed/gained vs the stock bulbs though. Several of the LED's are compatible with both H8 and H11 since the wattage is 35 or less and the physical tab that blocks the install on halogen H11s on H8 applications is missing or is the same size as the H8 on these LEDs.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ccA4SEA
Actually that's backwards - facelift (B8.5) is running the H8 ('13 and on for NA), '12 and earlier on the H11. Seems like a backwards move as I believe the primary difference is the wattage: H8 = 35 watts, H11 = 55 watts - though I've noticed my fog light lenses tend to steam when they get wet - maybe the H11s were just too hot for the updated housing.

I've been exploring changing them as well but have been looking to LED's as an option vs an HID conversion. Not sure what kind of light output would be lossed/gained vs the stock bulbs though. Several of the LED's are compatible with both H8 and H11 since the wattage is 35 or less and the physical tab that blocks the install on halogen H11s on H8 applications is missing or is the same size as the H8 on these LEDs.
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. Okay, so I found another LED option other than the very expensive Piaa offering.
H11 Philips LED bulb | H16 Philips LED bulb | H8 Philips LED Fog bulb

It would be interesting to see what the difference is in lumens and if the bulbs would throw an error.

Last edited by E92MPower; 01-30-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Foglights