Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 103510

Default Fuel door problem

Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
sadj2885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 187740

The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.
JD15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 172582

Using some spray silicone on the latch mechanism keeps it from sticking in cold weather. Works great on door seals too.
Kontroversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 169338

mine froze up pretty good had to dump some windshield wiper fluid in it to thaw it out.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 159128

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadj2885 View Post
Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.

ItsDubC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 168891

same issue here except mine won't even open at all after re-start and etc... Ended up using to manual release at back of the trunk (see manual for detail). First real issue on my B8 but a very annoying one. Scheduled to a visit next week to the dealer will see what they say.
iqqiqqiqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 116166

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsDubC View Post
This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.
Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.

The Hoopty Beater: SOLD
1987 Alpine White Audi 4000cs quattro "special build"
NJRoadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 157549

Make sure the key is in the ignition and the car in in "P"
09 A4 2.0T Quattro - Tip - Black/Black /// MODS: APR Stage II+ l AWE CB Exhaust l 034 HFC l EC HFIC Pipe l Forge DV Spacer l 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Interior Trim l 3M Chrome Grille Trim l SG Supreme 28 l Debadged l Fly Eyes Kit (f&r) l Needle Sweep l Window/Moonroof control w/Keyfob l Seat Belt Chime Disabled l "Wink" Disabled l Double Unlock "Beep"
ThePiombino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 159128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadFan View Post
Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.
Ya in hindsight I should not have cleared the code but I was tinkering w/ VCDS and wanted to get a baseline readout w/ as few error codes as possible (I don't have my Sirius activated so that always comes up in the scan). The next time I see the code, I will probably leave it and take it in for them to see.

I've seen other B8ers report this issue as well; could be one of those B8-specific issues that have flown under the radar and haven't yet been addressed.

ItsDubC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166422

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD15 View Post
The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.
Silicone or vasoline work well on this.
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2009, a4, a5, audi, b8, door, flap, frozen, fuel, gas, lid, open, problem, tank, troubleshooting