A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

And this FWD and Quattro thing...

Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And this FWD and Quattro thing...

Ok,
I dont want to make the topic too confusing so I will make 2 separate threads.
I accidentally bought a FWD S-line. Car is extremely clean and treated as new because it was used by a let's say "trophy wife". But I only learned I bought a FWD on the day of cash exchange and by then it was too late as the owner already had cash in his hand. Then I jacked the car up and went underneath to see the car has the same underbody (or so it seems) with a quattro. Except there is a fwd gearbox, front differential, etc etc. But there is room for a driveshaft and the engine is mounted in longitudinal direction. Then maybe I can contact a wrecker and just unbolt the whole rear cross member to swap that with one of a Quattro..if I'm lucky. And that of course means the gesrbox too. But the real question is,

Is it possible?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIY: FWD to AWD Conversion

this guy did it on a B7.... I would assume it's possible on a B8.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate to say it but if you weren't sharp enough to tell the difference between the FWD vs Quattro then I don't think you would be able to do the conversion. The mechanical conversion may be doable but I would think some of the electrical/electronics will be a challenge. Your best bet is to either keep the car as is or sell it and get a quattro. Good luck
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with jagtoes, the overall cost to convert it to a quattro would be substantial. I believe the transmission is a CVT as well on the FWD so that would need changing to a tiptronic 6 or 8 speed depending on model year as well. Sell it, buy a quattro.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite the phobia, the previous link proves its pretty much possible if a previous model is capable then, a newer model shall share same concepts when designing .

Not really new to having to do with things or getting it done as my other car is a skyline spent heaps adding tomei internals to the engine and motec ecu. And the electronics wont be a big issue in awd if the car drives on four wheels. It doesn't have Yaw Control Diff in a quattro does it? Because AYC or active Yaw control needs an ECU of its own. Other than that it's pretty easy, if the costs are less. Mind you I bought the car at half the price of a Quattro. So there is free money to do things. I will consider your advice to stay clear from jargon too.

Saudi arabia is sort of wrecked cars haven, worlds largest number of crashes here.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Falah_B8
Despite the phobia, the previous link proves its pretty much possible if a previous model is capable then, a newer model shall share same concepts when designing .

Not really new to having to do with things or getting it done as my other car is a skyline spent heaps adding tomei internals to the engine and motec ecu. And the electronics wont be a big issue in awd if the car drives on four wheels. It doesn't have Yaw Control Diff in a quattro does it? Because AYC or active Yaw control needs an ECU of its own. Other than that it's pretty easy, if the costs are less. Mind you I bought the car at half the price of a Quattro. So there is free money to do things. I will consider your advice to stay clear from jargon too.

Saudi arabia is sort of wrecked cars haven, worlds largest number of crashes here.
It sounds pretty much that you have your mind made up to try to do this. So I wish you luck and hope you report your progress here. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Go for it! It'd make an interesting thread write up. check other forums as well, I'm sure there is info elsewhere specifically about the B8 and quattro swap.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The ESP makes a difference between quattro and FWD, so at least some programming is needed. I have no idea if control modules need to be replaced.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

While the Quattro system is mechanical in nature, it relies heavily on electronic assistance around it in particular EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) and traction control to slow down spinning wheels in order for the mechanical principal of the Quattro to be able to transfer torque to the other axle. Without the correct electronics/software, your rear axle will be completely open with no EDL, so if one or both of your rear wheels lose traction, you'll be dead in the water. Sort of defeats the purpose of having Quattro. Your current electronics/software only know that the front wheels are driven, so it acts accordingly if it detects slip etc on the front axle, but it will be completely dumbfounded if the rear axle experiences slip and Quattro fails to transfer torque to the front axle.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-14-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
While the Quattro system is mechanical in nature, it relies heavily on electronic assistance around it in particular EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) and traction control to slow down spinning wheels in order for the mechanical principal of the Quattro to be able to transfer torque to the other axle. Without the correct electronics/software, your rear axle will be completely open with no EDL, so if one or both of your rear wheels lose traction, you'll be dead in the water. Sort of defeats the purpose of having Quattro. Your current electronics/software only know that the front wheels are driven, so it acts accordingly if it detects slip etc on the front axle, but it will be completely dumbfounded if the rear axle experiences slip and Quattro fails to transfer torque to the front axle.
I appears the OP has a lot of left over money to do the conversion. I'm sure he knows or is studying what has to be changed to make his car into a quattro. Hopefully we'll get a lot of pictures during the conversion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And this FWD and Quattro thing...