A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Gas door won't open

Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gas door won't open

I just filled up the car yesterday and today went out to put some FI cleaner in and the filler door won't open. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get the door open without breaking it.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just filled up the car yesterday and today went out to put some FI cleaner in and the filler door won't open. Has anyone had this problem and how did you get the door open without breaking it.

OK got it. I ASSUMED the car was unlocked and it was not.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to ask whether the car was unlocked...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ha! Same thing happened to me when I attempted to fill my car for the first time. Out of habit, I lock the doors when I get out of the car, even at the gas station. I thought I had broken it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside the trunk there is a manual release cable to open the door if the actuator fails, or the moving parts get dirty and gummed up so the solenoid cannot pull it far enough to open.

Why are you using fuel injection cleaner in the tank? If you are using Top Tier premium fuel, you will not get any benefit from any cleaner.

You might be diluting the TBN package in your oil, and that could mean disaster. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. The computer will throw a code if your injectors are in need of attention. In that case you should change them or have them cleaned and flow tested on a bench.

Save your money.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
Inside the trunk there is a manual release cable to open the door if the actuator fails, or the moving parts get dirty and gummed up so the solenoid cannot pull it far enough to open.

Why are you using fuel injection cleaner in the tank? If you are using Top Tier premium fuel, you will not get any benefit from any cleaner.

You might be diluting the TBN package in your oil, and that could mean disaster. There is no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. The computer will throw a code if your injectors are in need of attention. In that case you should change them or have them cleaned and flow tested on a bench.

Save your money.
Thanks for the trunk info.
As to Techron injection cleaner I disagree. The data is out supporting this brand of cleaner. Even premium fuels have contaminates in the tank. You would be surprised what debris is in the gas tanks at various stations. The detergents in fuel today do a fair job but it does not hurt to add some every 6 months. It also absorbs the water in your fuel tank. If premium fuel is good enough then ask why would you ever need to replace or get a FI nozzle cleaned? Oh I have a 1989 Volvo with 325,000 miles on the original engine and injectors. Use Techron FI cleaner every 6 months. It works for me.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the same exact problem. At first the door would get stuck randomly but I was always able to open it with my credit card, last week it got stock for good. I had to pry it open thus breaking the plastic part on the fuel door, Audi replaced everything at no charge.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vtheman
I had the same exact problem. At first the door would get stuck randomly but I was always able to open it with my credit card, last week it got stock for good...
(Although, this was not the same as OP´s "problem".)
Are you saying that the manual release inside the trunk did not work, either?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vtheman
I had the same exact problem. At first the door would get stuck randomly but I was always able to open it with my credit card, last week it got stock for good. I had to pry it open thus breaking the plastic part on the fuel door, Audi replaced everything at no charge.
Had a lot of problems with my fuel cap too. Would not open. Took it to audi with other things that needed attention and they changed the actuator and a few other things on the door.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=Moviela;24325949]Inside the trunk there is a manual release cable to open the door if the actuator fails, or the moving parts get dirty and gummed up so the solenoid cannot pull it far enough to open.

Just took a quick look in the trunk and could not find anything to open the gas cap with. Where is it located and is it a button or a pull cable. Just wondering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas door won't open