A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

At a Glance Oil issues/Pistons and rings/Turbo recalls seen on the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default At a Glance Oil issues/Pistons and rings/Turbo recalls seen on the forum.

I haven't been on the Audi forums for some time now.The last time I logged in was in march. Just to browse.
Since then, I have seen more members concerned with the oil consumption, and with reason!

A few years a go when I had my 2010 A4, I went through the entire process,all the stages to find the problem with the oil usage.
1)Stage 1 run the car until it was at its minimum and light indicator came on.(Add oil warning light).
2)Bring car to dealership to hook it on to the diagnostic systems.

Then at which point all pistons and rings were replaced.
The car seized the huge consumption of oil.

During that task,to determine how much oil was consumed, my car was flagged by Audi, but the car was fixed.
Why was it flagged???,,, you might ask, well it was APR tunned at Stage 2. The car was running phenomenal.
APR chip, carbonio, Downpipe ,Catback, Blow off valve,H7R Sway bars, well the works.

Last July, my Check Engine light came on, I did not think much of it at the time.Simply thought it was something loose.
I REALLY TAKE CARE OF MY CARS!
So, I took the car in and they reset the engine light.At that point I found out that the flapper on the turbo was shutting down at 80% not 100%. WHICH MEN'T, I NEEDED a new TURBO.

Members?!... you get the picture now. I was very upset. At which point they did not wan't to honor another powertrain warranty because the car had been flagged.

Now, luckily for me I fought tooth and nail and with support of the service dept of Audi in my area,it was fixed at no charge.

So the bottom line is that cars produced from 2009 through 2013 have high oil consumption and faulty turbos.Most of you have gotten your letters in the mail. If not ask your dealer about that.- Its not a catastrophic shut down of the turbo, but loss of power.- The new turbos, according to Audi are flawless.

Good luck everyone!... After 6 Audis of different platforms,I have moved on to a BMW 535d xdrive. I LOVE AUDI!... just couldn't take the constant non sense of the systems.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the 2014 Model Year Allroads have the new 'flawless' turbos?

R

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
I haven't been on the Audi forums for some time now.The last time I logged in was in march. Just to browse.
Since then, I have seen more members concerned with the oil consumption, and with reason!

A few years a go when I had my 2010 A4, I went through the entire process,all the stages to find the problem with the oil usage.
1)Stage 1 run the car until it was at its minimum and light indicator came on.(Add oil warning light).
2)Bring car to dealership to hook it on to the diagnostic systems.

Then at which point all pistons and rings were replaced.
The car seized the huge consumption of oil.

During that task,to determine how much oil was consumed, my car was flagged by Audi, but the car was fixed.
Why was it flagged???,,, you might ask, well it was APR tunned at Stage 2. The car was running phenomenal.
APR chip, carbonio, Downpipe ,Catback, Blow off valve,H7R Sway bars, well the works.

Last July, my Check Engine light came on, I did not think much of it at the time.Simply thought it was something loose.
I REALLY TAKE CARE OF MY CARS!
So, I took the car in and they reset the engine light.At that point I found out that the flapper on the turbo was shutting down at 80% not 100%. WHICH MEN'T, I NEEDED a new TURBO.

Members?!... you get the picture now. I was very upset. At which point they did not wan't to honor another powertrain warranty because the car had been flagged.

Now, luckily for me I fought tooth and nail and with support of the service dept of Audi in my area,it was fixed at no charge.

So the bottom line is that cars produced from 2009 through 2013 have high oil consumption and faulty turbos.Most of you have gotten your letters in the mail. If not ask your dealer about that.- Its not a catastrophic shut down of the turbo, but loss of power.- The new turbos, according to Audi are flawless.

Good luck everyone!... After 6 Audis of different platforms,I have moved on to a BMW 535d xdrive. I LOVE AUDI!... just couldn't take the constant non sense of the systems.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Do the 2014 Model Year Allroads have the new 'flawless' turbos?

R
From what they told me, YES!,,, a Senior tech informed me how they fixed the flaw on the turbo.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that would be great, as I'm in the last stages of buying a slightly used 2014 Allroad.

I hadn't realized there had been problems with 2009-2014 engines.

Originally Posted by ernestolopez
From what they told me, YES!,,, a Senior tech informed me how they fixed the flaw on the turbo.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

So that's why we got those letters.....