A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Hakka R2s - wow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hakka R2s - wow

So I am a total newbie on this forum. I have stalked for a long time during my Audi ownership. I have previously owned a 2001 A6, 2006 A6, and just picked up a 2012 A4 a few months ago.

I only live in Chicago and always wanted, but never pulled the trigger on winter tires. After the last few winters, this year was the year. I spent more time than I would care to mention in public reading reviews, tire rack, and scouring all the various boards online. I flipped flopped several times from Blizzak LM's to WS's, to X-ice, etc. I had literally ordered WS-80's from discount tire (145 each!), when I started to read more about the Nokian Hakkas. Not too many people carried them around Chicago, but the more I read, the more I got sucked in...then when I realized Discount Tire sold them, and for 170 each...I changed my order.

Fast forward, it has not really snowed much (of course not because I just bought wheels and winter tires!). The little it did this past weekend showed my how great these things were. Quiet wheels (better ride than my Ps, but they are softer, so...), phenomenal traction on ice, slush, and what light snow I drove through. I had to go out on a joy ride this past weekend in order to feel them out.

My commute is about 45-50 miles a day on local road and highway, and I could feel the grip on the road this past few days during ice/sleet rain.

Overall I am very impressed with the Nokian Hakka R2...I know I don't have much of a benchmark comparison, but I am amazed at the grip and overall performance! I think I may have to look into their all weather tires too! (Anyone have any feed back on the WG 3?)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else in this great forum!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beware their performance in wet conditions are REALLY ****.
On Ice they are amazing, on Snow they are very good, on dry they are average, on wet... drive like it's on ice because it's not very good.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We mostly get slush in Chicago given how much they try to plow and salt. Today was rain/sleet, and last weekend when it was slushy I had some fun. Seemed to do well overall, but hey, I did not drive crazy

Will certainly take caution during any mass rain!

Any experience with the WGR3? Wondering if they are master of nothing as well as many others.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Chicago blizzard = Fun drive

So in Chicago, had about a foot of snow drop today and still going...could not resist. Took for a spin around town.

- Stopped was awesome. I tried many times to make the car slide with no luck
- straight driving through 8-10 inch snow drifts were no problem. Gripped well with no traction control
- Cornered quickly a few times in deep snow for fun. Could feel one or two drift a bit, but grabbed on quickly.

I don' regret them!