A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Help Me! Violent Shaking.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me! Violent Shaking.

Hey,

I bought my Audi A4 2012, Quattro about 4 months ago. No problem at all with the car. Now all of a sudden, once i hit about 65-70 MPH, there is violent shaking in the seats and floorboards.

I have had 2 alignments and had my wheels balanced numerous times. I just bought 4 new toyo tires, cost me $181 each, and still the shaking remains. Anyone have any experience with this?

Fortunately, the car is still under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. So i will be taking it to the Audi dealership tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopCityzZ
Hey,

I bought my Audi A4 2012, Quattro about 4 months ago. No problem at all with the car. Now all of a sudden, once i hit about 65-70 MPH, there is violent shaking in the seats and floorboards.

I have had 2 alignments and had my wheels balanced numerous times. I just bought 4 new toyo tires, cost me $181 each, and still the shaking remains. Anyone have any experience with this?

Fortunately, the car is still under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. So i will be taking it to the Audi dealership tomorrow.
If the wheels and tires are taken out of the problem then it would have to be somewhere in the drive line. Either drive-shafts or differentials or transmission or wheel hubs/bearings. I'm sure the dealer will find the problem.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be your control arms. Pretty sure there was a technical service bulletin about control arm issues on 2009-2012 A4's

Dealer should handle it for free if that's the case.

Jason
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same resonating sound (resonance occurred at certain speed) when speed at around 35 miles/hour on my 93 Lexus LS-400 rear wheel drive. it turned out to be issue wiht drive shaft. I found there was a 30mm x 30mm rust on the drive shut. It was a weight put on shaft when manufacturing (like wheel balance... ). I roughly calculated the weight it was about 8 OZ. I did attached a piece of metal to the shaft and wrapped it with duct tap. the resonating sound reduced a lot and resonance shift to different car speed.... but it only worked for a day as the duct tap and weight got lost...... i then used a 4" plumbing clamp on drive shaft and left screw at rust area. The the resonance sound **** to other speed..... this tells you that if the drive shaft is out of balance - mostly a attached weight came off then you will experience....

Recently my Q7 has the same resonance sound loudly at 14 to 18 miles, i guess it could be the same issue but I have not got time to go underneath the car to check the drive shaft... will update once I found anything. If anyone know possible issue, please share your experience to me. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by leeelooo
I had same resonating sound (resonance occurred at certain speed) when speed at around 35 miles/hour on my 93 Lexus LS-400 rear wheel drive. it turned out to be issue wiht drive shaft. I found there was a 30mm x 30mm rust on the drive shut. It was a weight put on shaft when manufacturing (like wheel balance... ). I roughly calculated the weight it was about 8 OZ. I did attached a piece of metal to the shaft and wrapped it with duct tap. the resonating sound reduced a lot and resonance shift to different car speed.... but it only worked for a day as the duct tap and weight got lost...... i then used a 4" plumbing clamp on drive shaft and left screw at rust area. The the resonance sound **** to other speed..... this tells you that if the drive shaft is out of balance - mostly a attached weight came off then you will experience....

Recently my Q7 has the same resonance sound loudly at 14 to 18 miles, i guess it could be the same issue but I have not got time to go underneath the car to check the drive shaft... will update once I found anything. If anyone know possible issue, please share your experience to me. Thanks!
The problem with all wheel drive cars is all of the rotating shafts/joints. Being an independent 4 wheel drive you have half shafts in the front and rear with drive shafts too. A lot of this you can't see just looking at the parts so you need an expert to find the issue.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tips. I agree with you with 4 wheel drive, it is much more complicated then rear drive like. But based on the resonance sound at certain car speed, usually the long or big rotating parts can cause this resonance at certain speed... I checked google images about drive shaft, and some balance weights are much bigger and thick.... Today, I called dealer, they will charge $150/hr to check, and don't know how long it is going to take...
Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by leeelooo
Thanks for the tips. I agree with you with 4 wheel drive, it is much more complicated then rear drive like. But based on the resonance sound at certain car speed, usually the long or big rotating parts can cause this resonance at certain speed... I checked google images about drive shaft, and some balance weights are much bigger and thick.... Today, I called dealer, they will charge $150/hr to check, and don't know how long it is going to take...
Drive shafts are pretty easy to check if there is a drive shaft fabricator in your area. I've had special aluminum drive shafts built for a few of my engine conversion cars and the new drive shafts were balanced by the fabricator. The U-joints can be checked but the hi-velocity joints are a little more involved. Just as a side note make sure the dealer "shows you" what they have discovered and not just tells you. Also ask for any parts that they replace.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This started happening to me last week. Yesterday it moved to happening at any speed with loss of power. Ended up being a misfire. Coil & spark plug changed fixed it.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Drive shafts are pretty easy to check if there is a drive shaft fabricator in your area. I've had special aluminum drive shafts built for a few of my engine conversion cars and the new drive shafts were balanced by the fabricator. The U-joints can be checked but the hi-velocity joints are a little more involved. Just as a side note make sure the dealer "shows you" what they have discovered and not just tells you. Also ask for any parts that they replace.
Thanks for the advice! i will go to dealer, if i don't find anything from online and my initial basic checking.

youtube has few videos show how to check driveline/shaft vibration, and some video show that the center bearing support mount is a common issue.

I need to check that and also see any balancing weights came off from shafts. From the resonating sound, i'm sure, it is one of drive shafts is out of balance as the resonating sound has high frequency.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ChopCityzZ
Hey,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 2012 Avant that shakes at 70 mph.