A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Help picking between two 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Help picking between two 2014's

Hey guys,

First post... hope to join the discussions soon!

I'm looking at two cars at my local dealer, both under 7K miles and Certified (service loaner cars).

2014 Premium Plus, Monsoon Grey, has B&O stereo
2014 Premium (not plus), brilliant black, MMI Navigation

Either car has no other options, just all weather floor mats and first aid kit.
Price is the same for either car and I am not trading in so I have the lowest price they will go.

All other things being the same, would you pick a PP with B&O or would you skip the Plus and the B&O in order to get the MMI?

My thinking is that I will enjoy the B&O every single day, whereas I might use the Nav only a couple times a year. I have my phone gps and a Garmin so it's not like I don't have any options. I'm disappointed that the AMI doesn't have bluetooth audio streaming but I see there are workarounds for that ($80 receiver that goes on the AMI plug).

Just wondering your guys' take on it!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 82DMC12
Hey guys,

First post... hope to join the discussions soon!

I'm looking at two cars at my local dealer, both under 7K miles and Certified (service loaner cars).

2014 Premium Plus, Monsoon Grey, has B&O stereo
2014 Premium (not plus), brilliant black, MMI Navigation

Either car has no other options, just all weather floor mats and first aid kit.
Price is the same for either car and I am not trading in so I have the lowest price they will go.

All other things being the same, would you pick a PP with B&O or would you skip the Plus and the B&O in order to get the MMI?

My thinking is that I will enjoy the B&O every single day, whereas I might use the Nav only a couple times a year. I have my phone gps and a Garmin so it's not like I don't have any options. I'm disappointed that the AMI doesn't have bluetooth audio streaming but I see there are workarounds for that ($80 receiver that goes on the AMI plug).

Just wondering your guys' take on it!
Keep looking.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Former Premium owner here. You will always wish you got the Premium Plus. Always.

Wierd they put the MMI in a Premium....
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Right. If the one with MMI had Prem plus and B&O I'd be all over it. I took the gray one with B&O out again today for about a half hour without the salesman and took a really well produced full-range album (Periphery Alpha) on CD to test out the B&O. It is fantastic, perfect for 32-year-old me who is too old for subs in the trunk but wants great sound. I'd have no reason to upgrade the stereo any further.

Lame as hell that there isn't an aux-in but I guess you can get a cord that attaches to the AMI port for that.

Only issue at this point is some rock chips in the hood on this car that they tried to touch up and did a terrible job. Hopefully we can get it sorted out because I'm leaning towards the PP with B&O.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 82DMC12
Right. If the one with MMI had Prem plus and B&O I'd be all over it. I took the gray one with B&O out again today for about a half hour without the salesman and took a really well produced full-range album (Periphery Alpha) on CD to test out the B&O. It is fantastic, perfect for 32-year-old me who is too old for subs in the trunk but wants great sound. I'd have no reason to upgrade the stereo any further.

Lame as hell that there isn't an aux-in but I guess you can get a cord that attaches to the AMI port for that.

Only issue at this point is some rock chips in the hood on this car that they tried to touch up and did a terrible job. Hopefully we can get it sorted out because I'm leaning towards the PP with B&O.
Be sure you won't regret not waiting for one with B&O and MMI. Both were must-haves on my list.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded a PP Q5 with B&O but no MMI for a S4 with MMI. My verdict. Ignore the MMI. There is exactly one feature the MMI gives you that missed. Specifically music streaming over bluetooth*.

I now have nav in the S4. Don't use it. My phone is better anyway. Skip the MMI and get the PP. You'll thank me for it.

*I have a TuneToAir from the Q. If you skip the MMI and want BlueTooth music let me know and I'll ship it to you.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would say the MMI has a much nicer screen, better graphics, and the controls down on the console make for a more "premium" feeling car. Bluetooth is nice, but you can get around that with Tune2Air. I don't need NAV - but man the realtime traffic is essential for my awful commute. BUT there's nothing there that's worth the $3000 price tag...

B&O is really decent.... but the subwoofer is garbage. You'll find a lot of us have done a direct swap of the speaker with a Pioneer 10" sub. Fairly easily DIY. Doesn't need an extra amp. Makes the system sound 1000x better. Does the B&O have the DSP settings without MMI? I thought I read it was missing that... (Driver focus, surround levels...)
Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I would say the MMI has a much nicer screen, better graphics, and the controls down on the console make for a more "premium" feeling car. Bluetooth is nice, but you can get around that with Tune2Air. I don't need NAV - but man the realtime traffic is essential for my awful commute. BUT there's nothing there that's worth the $3000 price tag...

B&O is really decent.... but the subwoofer is garbage. You'll find a lot of us have done a direct swap of the speaker with a Pioneer 10" sub. Fairly easily DIY. Doesn't need an extra amp. Makes the system sound 1000x better. Does the B&O have the DSP settings without MMI? I thought I read it was missing that... (Driver focus, surround levels...)
I have decided to go with the PP with B&O. I think it sounds great but we will see after I have had the car for a while to look into the subwoofer upgrade. I do a lot of travel but it is usually air travel with a rental car so I just don't think the traffic info or Nav is essential for me. It would be nice but not critical.

The PP w/o MMI has Treble, Mid, Bass, Pan, Front/rear, Surround on/off, and GALA. There isn't anything about focus.

I'm looking to get a Tune2Air and the miniplug adaptor, that will give me all the source options I need. I pick up the car tomorrow!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right on! I've got Monsoon Grey myself - it's a really tight color. Will look good for years to come.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Right on! I've got Monsoon Grey myself - it's a really tight color. Will look good for years to come.
Cool, thanks for the vote of support!
Really looking forward to picking it up. I'm coming from a 2008 Subaru Legacy Limited. I'm surprised how much more power the 2.0T has versus the 2.5L boxer in the Subaru. But also the Subie only has 4 spd auto and no turbo.

I'm a bit torn between the classic black on black A4 but I think the Monsoon grey will be great and not look too dirty between washes like the black would.

Quick Reply: Help picking between two 2014's