A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Help picking between two 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me its an absolute no brainer... go with the Premium Plus without the Nav. Yea you won't have a Nav, and yea black is a slightly cooler color... But here's all the stuff that you'll be missing and wishing you had if you don't go with the Premium Plus:

Auto-dimming rear view mirror; Compass; Driver and passenger door mirrors; Audi Advanced Key smart card/smart key with keyless entry includes keyless starter with memory seat; Card key power locks; Vehicle start button; Three-zone fully-automatic climate control; Passenger ventilation controls; Memorized adjustment: includes door mirror position; Front and rear alloy wheels: 18" x 8.0"; Front and rear 245/40-18 and all-season tires; Headlights: Bi-Xenon; LED brake lights, day time running lights and rear lights; S line components: fender badges, bumpers, aluminum door sills, side sill blades; High pressure headlight cleaners; Trunk storage package; Chrome/bright trim around side windows; Driver front seat memorized height and memorized tilt; Includes: [PAW] Cold Weather Package (Driver and front passenger seat front seat heated; Split-folding rear seats)

Read more: New 2014 Audi A4 Options & Packages Prices - Motor Trend Magazine

As a premium owner... just not having the simple split-folding rear seats is enough to make me wish I has a P+. Not to mention the sound system in the base premium is absolute crap, so if you like to listen to music a lot, you will have to go through the hassle of changing out the speakers (which is what I did immediately).

Last edited by meatheadmike; 03-20-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Audi was a Premium.... several weeks into ownership I was going to pop the rear seats down to fit a box into the trunk..... Seriously?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 82DMC12
Cool, thanks for the vote of support!
Really looking forward to picking it up. I'm coming from a 2008 Subaru Legacy Limited. I'm surprised how much more power the 2.0T has versus the 2.5L boxer in the Subaru. But also the Subie only has 4 spd auto and no turbo.

I'm a bit torn between the classic black on black A4 but I think the Monsoon grey will be great and not look too dirty between washes like the black would.
Monsoon grey will be MUCH easier to maintain than black.

The B&O is terrific, and the bass is fine. I don't need, or want, overpowering bass. I enjoy bass as part of the music, not the dominant part.

After owning both integrated NAV and portable GPS, I'd not buy another car without integrated Nav. I find portable GPS a PITA - too small to see, it doesn't stay in place well, and has to be moved and consantly hidden to avoid thieves. Big PITA.

An integrated Nav will turn the music down/off when it is giving voice directions. Very handy, and safe.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll say this about the bass: the stock B&O rolls off sharply at 60hz. You'd be stunned how much musical presence sits below that: the walking bassline of a Stevie Ray Vaughn song, the pounding timpani in a Mahler piece, the deep resonances of a solo acoustic guitar, Johnny Cash's voice on all those later albums, any jazz or blues piece.... It really was a revelation when I did the swap.

Just straight swapping for a better subwoofer brings that all out. It's only marginally louder than the B&O because it has a higher sensitivity rating, I keep my bass at -1, but it can get way down and hold those tones when the B&O would start sputtering.

Of course you can really crank the system too and it keeps up with those nuclear powered tweeters.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both sounds bad.

I'd only get a Prestige at this point...the basic feature set is better.

Getting a Premium is not worth getting an Audi..
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I'll say this about the bass: the stock B&O rolls off sharply at 60hz. You'd be stunned how much musical presence sits below that: the walking bassline of a Stevie Ray Vaughn song, the pounding timpani in a Mahler piece, the deep resonances of a solo acoustic guitar, Johnny Cash's voice on all those later albums, any jazz or blues piece.... It really was a revelation when I did the swap.

Just straight swapping for a better subwoofer brings that all out. It's only marginally louder than the B&O because it has a higher sensitivity rating, I keep my bass at -1, but it can get way down and hold those tones when the B&O would start sputtering.

Of course you can really crank the system too and it keeps up with those nuclear powered tweeters.
I'm not sure I'm ready to start dismantling my new car's stereo, but..... I'm intrigued.

Is there a link a site that details the swap? Any idea where the subwoofer is in my 2014 Allroad?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
I'm not sure I'm ready to start dismantling my new car's stereo, but..... I'm intrigued.

Is there a link a site that details the swap? Any idea where the subwoofer is in my 2014 Allroad?
Ah, that's a whooole different enchilada. The subwoofer in the sedan in a 8" shallow mount that's in the rear deck. The avant/Allroad/Q5 have the subwoofer built into the spare tire well. It may very well be a better sounding unit - never come across a thread where someone was trying to swap that.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1

This is what I followed when I did the swap in mine, (same process for non-B&O people as well). But for Avants and Allroad I think the sub is where the spare tire and battery are

Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer Upgrade B&O

For non-B&O people (like me) I'd recommend installing an amp too, because the factory amp doesn't have as much juice for the sub as the B&O amp. I posted a DIY for the amp install on the second page of that thread.

Last edited by meatheadmike; 03-22-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hey everyone, I picked up the car on Friday and I have had a blast getting to know it and drive it!

I purchased it from Molle Audi in Kansas City. I feel they did a good job with low pressure to buy and answered all my questions in a timely way. Obviously as someone who does research I knew pretty much everything that was critical ahead of time! The purchasing process was also headache-free since I negotiated much of the deal by email. Since I sold my 2008 Subaru daily driver to a private party, it maximized my position and I feel like I got a good deal.

It's a 2014 A4 Premium Plus
Monsoon Gray metallic
Black interior
B&O stereo
All weather floor mats
No front plate (good thing for Kansas!)
6,800 miles at purchase
Certified pre-owned warranty

It's in 99.9% new condition, flawless body, paint, wheels. Interior looks and smells new. I promptly cleaned up and detailed the engine bay. I love the presence this car has from the front head-on.

Very happy with the car so far and looking forward to contributing to the community!
Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new wheels!! Nice looking car and the absolute very best way of buying an Audi (CPO with low mileage). Enjoy!

By the way, I work part-time for an Audi dealer as a driver and pick up and deliver many different cars. You are right about the sound systems - the Audi Concert radio in A4's without B&O are awful.

Quick Reply: Help picking between two 2014's