A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How to Avoid MMI on B8?

Old 03-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Avoid MMI on B8?

I'm thinking of buying another Audi, this time a used A4 Avant 2.0T, either B7 or B8. I really like traditional buttons and switches, so I'd like to avoid MMI for audio, climate control, etc. The problem is that while shopping online it's very hard to determine which A4s have it and which don't. I've tried looking at the various model-year documents available here, but none of them quite spells this out.

I seem to be finding that all A4 B8s include MMI, so there is no way for me to avoid it for that model. Can anyone confirm this for me, or tell me which configurations do/don't have it? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

With all due respect, no one likes buttons, *****, and switches more than I do, and I'm perfectly happy with my 2011 with nav and MMI. I just use the buttons, *****, and switches to control audio and climate stuff. I also use the ***** and buttons to control the nav system. No problem.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Maybe I misunderstand MMI. I thought that on the vehicles with MMI, they eliminate some of the ***** and switches for climate-control, audio, etc. so that you were forced to use MMI for those functions. So you would no longer have dedicated buttons for, for example, the fan speed, and instead you would have to take several steps into the menus to change the speed. Is that wrong?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think you want to find a car without NAV. That system is technically non-MMI and perhaps a bit simpler. There's nothing complex about running it.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know about B7.
In a B8 there is no need to navigate a menu for the basic controls like fan speed, temperature seat heating and audio volume. However the system use "parametric" input.

That means that you select the parameter (FAN) with its own button and then turn the climate control wheel (the same as temperature wheel) to the wanted setting.

The setting (in this case a number 0 to 12) is visible both on the climate control panel and the big "MMI screen".
As long as I have a "wheel" to turn I think a parametric interface works well.

Audio volume has its own wheel (and mute function).
The physical location for these wheels differ depending on if it has navigation and standard or 3-zone climate control. Audio/Phone control on the steering wheel is not included in the basic standard.

On "face lifted" models (ca 2012->) the seat heating has (for some reason) its own button that steps through the settings (3 levels compared to previous 6). Only advantage is that the button now has 3 indication lights that shows the setting without a button press.

(Another change on the face lifted model is that the fan speed setting now setting seems to be absolute rather than an adjustment relative to the "auto" computation.)

There are many variants, so be sure to check the wanted options on the car.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

All recent vintage Audis have an MMI of some sort. Just about every commonly used function uses buttons or dials. The various MMI screens are mostly for options, system settings and feedback display. Nothing required for everyday use is buried in menu option screens.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I the think the best thing for you to do would be to go to a dealer and go play around with the interface? I'm sure with even a hint of interest in buying one the salesman would be more than happy to go over the interface with you. You won't know until you try it yourself!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kraster
I the think the best thing for you to do would be to go to a dealer and go play around with the interface? I'm sure with even a hint of interest in buying one the salesman would be more than happy to go over the interface with you. You won't know until you try it yourself!
Thanks. I'm going to do that on Friday.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Our 2011 model has nav and would not get it again. The nav is not upgradeable to new maps.

My wife uses her iphone instead while I am driving with her in HER 2011 A4. The iphone is quicker and more accurate.

The rest of the controls are pretty simple and straightforward, so you won't mind the controls once you have the car for a few days....enjoy.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by steveracer
Our 2011 model has nav and would not get it again. The nav is not upgradeable to new maps.
Really?? I can't speak for certain because I'm waiting on delivery of my 2014 B8...but I thought I've read that the Nav maps are hard drive based and can be updated at the dealership. I would find it pretty hard to believe that they aren't upgradable. Had anyone done this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Avoid MMI on B8?