A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How bad does this look?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by janevolyn@gmail.com
Was hit on Monday and I'm still waiting for the insurance co to send someone over for the initial inspection. I'm losing my mind speculating... basically if the car is not totaled they will need to complete the repairs before the end of the month.

So... how bad does this look? Is it plausible to have the repairs done in 2 weeks? thanks!!
Relax, it's only a car. (Curious, why do you need the repair done in two weeks?) I just went through the dance with insurance carriers and body shops after a minor rear ender on my B8. First, a good repair will take more time than you want. Insurance carriers will recommend preferred shops, but those shops work on volume and charge the carriers below market rates. You may not get the quality you desrve. Some are great, some not so great. Carriers probably want to source used or non-OEM parts. ( I understand State Farm is especially aggressive in that regard)

At any hint of frame damage, make sure you use an Audi Factory Certified repair shop. Audi specified repair procedures are very detailed, requiring specific procedures and special equipment. It may take some time to find an Audi Factory Certified shop, but it will be worth it. In most states YOU get to pick the repair facility, not the carrier.

I tracked down a high end Audi certified shop with a yard full of Porsches, Maseratis and a Tesla or two. Very high end, but overkill for what I needed and they couldn't take me for 8 weeks anyway.

I ultimately used a good non-Audi certified shop because there was no frame damage and the other damage was relatively easy to repair. The shop manager pointed out some of the pitfalls of dealing with carriers. In the end, the other driver's carrier, Farmers, wrote a good estimate specifying OEM parts and which only needed a small supplement after additional damage was found. The repair was perfect.

It took about two weeks for the claims paperwork to be completed and for me to find a shop. The job itself took five working days.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone. So now I am being told next Tuesday someone will MAYBE come out to inspect the car....
I'm in a rush because my yearly road trip to the mountains is around the corner and we need the car back for it. And, we are paying for the lease regardless of whether or not the car sits on the driveway or at the tow yard. Anyway, we are taking it to the dealership for repairs... the car is a lease and has to be repaired like new. I'm taking no chances.

Waiting for the estimate is making me crazy, so, I'm going through Audi's website looking at just the cost of parts. The wheel, took the majority of the force from the impact. The wheel itself looks banged up, but i'm concerned that there will be hidden damage behind the wheel and under the car (especially since pieces flew off from there) and i'm afraid that will cause significant delays.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My experience, from what I can see in the photos, two weeks is doable. However, if there is suspension damage or even worse, structural damage, it will likely take longer. I had the whole right side of my car damaged due to a semi forcing me into swiping a guardrail on the interstate. Repair of the doors, a new fender and rocker panel, a front wheel replacement and paint, including blending of the hood for color matching, took 12 days after drop off by an Audi Certified Collision Center.

The variables will be if there is hidden damage, how backed up the shop is and how long it will take the shop to get "supplements" from the insurance company as things not visible when initially appraised are discovered by the shop. All of these things can take extra time.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wanted to update-
it took 2 weeks for the car to be inspected and towed and another 3 for repairs. After the car was finally towed it turned out that my insurance submitted the estimate for the wrong vehicle and they had to return. After they finally were able to take the car apart and submit a supplement we had to wait for parts for a second time.
the damage was around $14 if i remember correctly. Because the rental had run out before repairs were done we were able to get a loaner vehicle from the dealership which worked out well for us. It was a brand new A4 with almost no miles!
Sadly, not even a year later, someone parallel parked into our car while standing at a red light. And those repairs were not cheap either... This poor car barely has 10k miles on it.