A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Huper Optik Drei tint installed *Pics and Heat Tests*

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huper Optik Drei tint installed *Pics and Heat Tests*

Had Huper Optik Drei (35%) installed today, very happy with the heat reduction...had the sunroof done as well. Price was $549 + $30 for sunroof + tax was $630 total. I know, a bit crazy.
Also did some heat testing...check out my blog for all the good stuff... http://www.diyaudi.com/Home/Entries/...Drei_Tint.html

Here are a couple quick pics...

Before...

After...

I am a bit annoyed at the job they did with the rear brake light, I may go back and have them fix it...looks pretty sloppy, especially for $600+

Last edited by HX_Guy; 05-13-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm having way too much fun with this IR thermometer.

Did some testing this morning after the car was sitting facing the rising sun, outside temp was just 86 (forecast for 100 today) and he leather temp where it was protected by tint was 105 while the unprotected was 168!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So it's the one man show over here.

Figured I'd follow up...I had the rear window redone, properly this time with the third brake light removed, and also went and had the front windshield done.

Went with SunTek CXP 70 which allows 65% of visible light to come in while blocking out 44% of total heat. Cost was $100.

Keep in mind when I took temps yesterday before the tint was done, it was 95º out and today was 104º.
There are a few more "after" car pictures on my blog here.

Before...

After...

Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice writeup and the car looks great! How is the tint on the windshield for visibility? does it affect how you see? at night?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Haven't driven it at night yet but it should be fine, I went for the lighter of the two options since night time visibility was a concern. I'll let you know for sure but I don't expect any problems.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by a4-bob
How is the tint on the windshield for visibility? does it affect how you see? at night?
.. and in the daytime, does it give you stronger reflections from the defroster outlet etc on the dash ?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HX_Guy
I had the rear window redone, properly this time with the third brake light removed
I'm impressed with how that rear window looks - the fact that the tint shop cut around my brake light and the fact that the defroster lines never really sealed well and result in halos around lights when looking out, are making me consider getting it re-done.

Is your tint completely sealed against the defroster lines? Take a look at post 37 of : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ld-I-ask-about

Guess maybe the Huper Optik Drei is thinner than the F1 I got (?). Might be time to re-do... could you post an extreme close up pic of the defroster lines like the pic I linked to in the other tread?

Do you notice car lights from behind you creating any kind of lines or unexpected patterns when they are near a defroster wire (like post 51 from that thread)?

Thanks...

Last edited by need_TQM; 05-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Huper Optik is very thick for a film
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by need_TQM
I'm impressed with how that rear window looks - the fact that the tint shop cut around my brake light and the fact that the defroster lines never really sealed well and result in halos around lights when looking out, are making me consider getting it re-done.

Is your tint completely sealed against the defroster lines? Take a look at post 37 of : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ld-I-ask-about

Guess maybe the Huper Optik Drei is thinner than the F1 I got (?). Might be time to re-do... could you post an extreme close up pic of the defroster lines like the pic I linked to in the other tread?

Do you notice car lights from behind you creating any kind of lines or unexpected patterns when they are near a defroster wire (like post 51 from that thread)?

Thanks...
Drove it for the first time last night and it does in fact look similar to the photo in post #51 in the link you posted. Kind of sucks but I guess it's pretty common? Also, maybe it will get better with time? I only had the tint for a little over 24 hours as of last night since they had to redo the back.

What I am more concerned about is the front. It has a serious hazing problem when direct light hits it, either sunlight or streetlights. During the day, if you are driving toward the sun, at times it's almost hard to see anythingout the window...major haze. At night, if feels like you are driving through fog whenever I go under a streetlight. The windshield seems greasy and maybe cleaning it will help greatly or maybe it will get better with time...again it had just been 24 hours since I had it done when I drove yesterday. How soon can I clean it? I saw a site oline that said to wait 30 days?! That seems excessive.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am surprised a shop did the windshield. Where are you located? It is a major no-no here in MO.

Quick Reply: Huper Optik Drei tint installed *Pics and Heat Tests*