A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Instability (the car, not mine :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instability (the car, not mine :)

I am really getting to know my B8.5 and am pretty happy overall. I made two runs from Philly to NYC in the last 5 days and made some observations tha t concern me. The first run was on a wet but windless day. I was running along at a good clip (75-85) and the car felt planted and secure. On Saturday, On my next run, whenever I went above 70, the car felt squirrelly and prone to feel like it wanted to wander. It was windy and the car seemed to be noticeable affected by the wind. I've got 3500 miles on the car and everything else seems to be as one would expect. Is this normal? Even my old 2010 Honda Accord sedan didn't get blown around as much. I would appreciate feedback.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Are the tires on your A4 wider/lower profile than the ones on the old Honda? Do you keep them inflated above Audi recommended PSI?
I ask because I have noted over the years that the sexy low profile tries on various cars I have owned do get pushed around by wind on slippery surfaces a bit more than skinnier tired cars. Try lowering the pressure to factory recommended (maybe 1 or 2 PSI more) and see if that helps. Also, at 70 mph-plus in slippery conditions any road car can get squirrely, that’s why there are speed limits: not preaching, just saying.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm assuming the B8.5 has electric steering. I have it on my A6 and it's the only significant thing I don't like about the car. On the highway it seems to wander more than any hydraulic steering car I've driven. It's most noticeable when it's windy as the steering system seems to be over correcting. I've mostly gotten used to it but it takes more focus to keep the car centered.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm assuming the B8.5 has electric steering. I have it on my A6 and it's the only significant thing I don't like about the car. On the highway it seems to wander more than any hydraulic steering car I've driven. It's most noticeable when it's windy as the steering system seems to be over correcting. I've mostly gotten used to it but it takes more focus to keep the car centered.
I have learned today about the flaws with the electric steering. It seems like this is definitely a prime factor in what I am feeling. Elsewhere, someone posted about the steering type DSR (I think) and said this piece of software can be turned off via vag com, but I don't have that and now will see if anyone in my area might be willing to do this for me. In regards to the post about road conditions and speed: my point is that the car was more stable at higher speeds with rain and no wind, than with dry conditions and wind. And believe me, I don't take unnecessary chances with safety and only drive fast when it present no obvious extra danger. Love myself too much to drive stupid
Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Are the tires on your A4 wider/lower profile than the ones on the old Honda? Do you keep them inflated above Audi recommended PSI?
I ask because I have noted over the years that the sexy low profile tries on various cars I have owned do get pushed around by wind on slippery surfaces a bit more than skinnier tired cars. Try lowering the pressure to factory recommended (maybe 1 or 2 PSI more) and see if that helps. Also, at 70 mph-plus in slippery conditions any road car can get squirrely, that’s why there are speed limits: not preaching, just saying.
I have not altered anything and am running whatever pressure the dealer set. I don't have the Honda anymore, so I can't comment on tire size.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by einreb92
I have learned today about the flaws with the electric steering. It seems like this is definitely a prime factor in what I am feeling. Elsewhere, someone posted about the steering type DSR (I think) and said this piece of software can be turned off via vag com, but I don't have that and now will see if anyone in my area might be willing to do this for me.
That DSR mod you're referring was found not to work in 2013+ Audis and shouldn't be turned off in any case. DSR is a component of the safety system to help prevent loss of vehicle control. What year is your B8? There was a steering software update a couple of years ago but nothing since. It helped somewhat for my 2013 A6.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have felt nothing unusual about the steering with my '13 A6. I had traded a 2010 A6 3.0 to get the current car. The 2010 had hydraulic steering and was supposed to be a benchmark in the class for power steering, but I do not sense anything terribly wrong with the 2013's steering except that the high pressure hose hasn't burst like it did on the 2010 - lol That occurred in the first year and was taken care of under warranty but it happened on the open road and left quite a mess on the roadway and under the hood a bit too.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That DSR mod you're referring was found not to work in 2013+ Audis and shouldn't be turned off in any case. DSR is a component of the safety system to help prevent loss of vehicle control. What year is your B8? There was a steering software update a couple of years ago but nothing since. It helped somewhat for my 2013 A6.
My B8.5 is a 2015. I find it odd that something that is supposed to prevent loss of control is actually making the car harder to drive, under certain circumstances. Others online have commented on how much better the car steers with this turned off. I think with traction control, quattro etc, it would be worth the risk. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering fix

My B8.5 is a 2015. I find it odd that something that is supposed to prevent loss of control is actually making the car harder to drive, under certain circumstances. Others online have commented on how much better the car steers with this turned off. I think with traction control, quattro etc, it would be worth the risk. Just my opinion.
I have a 2014 Allroad, and I also have a VAG COM that I've not yet used (I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before messing with my car's brain).

My Allroad exhibits exactly the same behavior as the OP's. No wind, the car tracks straight. But with any significant wind, it's as though the car, and I, are drunk. Coming from the superb steering of an E39 BMW, this has been a REAL disappointment. I'm going to try the VAG COM DSR fix.

Here's the link:

2013 Steering Issues VAG COM Fix?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have to clarify my earlier statement. The DSR "fix" does not work with the A6/A7/S6/S7 C7 series. It throws a Christmas tree of warning lights and fault codes. I have read where with the B8s, unchecking the DSR box can throw an ESP warning light and fault code. Also, some have had difficulty in getting the DSR mod to take or found the box already unchecked. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Instability (the car, not mine :)