A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Interesting info on B8 engine cutoff from car accident

Old 01-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If the airbags deploy, the battery disconnect will deploy, sounds smart to me.

I don't think Audi wants you driving around with deployed airbags.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree

So they should hook the battery disconnect to the air bags instead.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree as well, but the original poster's airbags did not deploy... from what I remember...
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The Service manual states:

"Anytime the Airbag system is deployed the battery disconnect will also be activated."

I guess in a rear end collision, possibly the logic is battery in trunk lets disconnect to prevent pinching of wires and a possible fire although, the accident was not enough to trigger the airbags. The same accident head-on may have deployed the Airbags.

Interesting though, it doesn't state anything about activating the battery disconnect, while not activating the airbags.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just heard back from the dealer/body shop

It's even worse than they thought...they have to replace the entire bottom of the trunk which requires spot welding and more time. ugghhh..

Also all 5 seatbelts triggered pyrotechnics so they need to replace all 5 seatbelts.

Seems like everything was triggered except the airbags which actually makes sense. Me and the passengers in my car hardly felt the impact but it was obviously pretty severe.

Deploying airbags would have been pointless since we hardly moved.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Just heard back from the dealer/body shop

I would have thought that the mechanical inertia system would be enough to lock the seat belts in a moderate collision. Guess not.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That is what I figured, it makes sense.

The seat belt tensioner's counter acted the rear end collision by pulling you tight into your seat. Helps with whiplash.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Are you kidding me!?

You had an minor encounter where the airbags didn't go off. "Me and the passengers in my car hardly felt the impact" Yet, the battery and the seat belts systems went off. To fix this the dealer (and it sounds like ONLY an Audi dealer not a body shop) has to cut out and re-weld the trunk pan!

That's just plain stupid! Such a minor collision should have been a non-event. Maybe some scratched paint (ie a little early wear ad tear). I hope Audi at least gave you a free loaner.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The impact was significant

What I'm trying to explain is although the impact was significant, the passengers didn't feel it as much since the car appropriately dampened/absorbed most of it.

remember, the car that rear ended me was TOTALED - the hood had crumpled all the way back to the windshield.

I'm not surprised there's so much damage, just that they had to replace the entire trunk floor.

I just found out since the car is so new, these parts are being Fedexed in from the Audi factory in Germany!!

They can't give you a loaner if you're in an accident but my insurance covers me for a rental if I chose to.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2014 Audi A4 Went through the same problem. got rear ended and the car wouldn't crank it was ticking. There is a small little black box connected through the positive battery cable. $250 part at dealer changed it this morning and now the engine turns but the car is not starting. Come to find out there is no fuel pumping through the lines. There is no power to the fuel pump. There is a fuel control module that I am thinking about changing because that is the only thing between the tank and the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting info on B8 engine cutoff from car accident