A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Introducing the Carista OBD device!

Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing the Carista OBD device!

We're happy to announce that we've just launched our own new Carista OBD adapter, to be used with the Carista app on both Android and iOS!

This is a unique device that uses a hybrid Bluetooth 4.0 LE and Bluetooth 2.1 connection. The Bluetooth 4.0 LE connection allows it to work with iOS, unlike all the generic Bluetooth adapters out there. By using Bluetooth, the device ensures that you have an uninterrupted internet connection (unlike WiFi devices).

This device is guaranteed to work with the Carista app, including its Audi-specific customizations and advanced diagnostics. No more guessing which device on ebay or amazon is fake and which will work! Just get the Carista device and be sure that it will work.

There's no limit to the number of vehicles or phones that you can use this device with, as long as they're compatible with the Carista app.

The Carista OBD adapter works with other apps on Android as well: Torque, DashCommand, etc. It does NOT work with other apps on iOS due to the proprietary communication that Apple forces on us.

Order now here: Hardware | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Carista,

I purchased the Carista OBD adapter and received it yesterday. I downloaded the Beta iOS app and installed it in an iPhone. Today I gave it a try. It selected a scan - it ran for about three minutes and then got "stuck" at 72%. It stayed there for about two minutes and I choose to shut down the application.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I disable the Bluetooth connection to the Audi Q5 MMI? Do you have a user manual?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor

RichWaz, thanks for your purchase and sorry to hear about the trouble. Sounds like you're doing it right, there's nothing more to it. The MMI Bluetooth connection is probably not the cause of the problem, but sure, turn it off just as a test.

When it gets stuck, please go one screen back, then open the slide-out menu and pick "Report a problem" to send us a technical log of the communication with the device. That will help us diagnose. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Introducing the Carista OBD device!

Hello Carista,
Got mine yesterday, have a question.
Is it safe to keep device attached to the port all the time?
Old 06-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DanD.
Hello Carista,
Got mine yesterday, have a question.
Is it safe to keep device attached to the port all the time?
Hi, I just replied to you in the other thread in the Q5 section. The answer is that we do not recommend keeping the device plugged in at all time:

"The Carista device doesn't heat up (it has a low-power sleep mode), but we still don't recommend leaving it plugged into the car when you're not using it because you're potentially exposing your OBD port wirelessly to anyone walking by your car. Now, when the car is off, most of its computers are off too, so I don't know of any exploits of this that could do any harm to your car, but still, my recommendation is to plug in the device when you need it and unplug it when you're done and keep it in your glove box. As you know, it's really easy to plug and unplug - most Audis don't even have a cover on the OBD port."
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, did I waste my money by buying the generic device off of Amazon? Does the Carista adapter provide functionality that the generic ones do not?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
so, did I waste my money by buying the generic device off of Amazon? Does the Carista adapter provide functionality that the generic ones do not?
Functionality-wise, no. If your generic device works fine, then you're ok. The main advantages of the Carista adapter are:

- Better internal electronics, guaranteed to work with all functionality in the Carista app (as opposed to many of the generic devices that only support basic OBD2 diagnostics and don't support the part of the ELM327 spec that's necessary for customizations and manufacturer-specific diagnostics).
- Bluetooth LE connection on iOS: does not block your Internet connectivity like the generic WiFi devices do. Much easier to connect to - no manual connecting to a WiFi network necessary - and much easier for in-app purchases: no need to disconnect the device in order to make a purchase.
- Low-power sleep mode (although again, we don't recommend leaving the device plugged in when not in use).
- Small, sleek form factor, easy to plug an unplug; comes in a proper retail box
Old 03-25-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2004 Audi A4 1.8T having troubles getting all the features

Carista Crew,

I purchased the Carista adapter and I am wondering if my 1 month free trial is activated. I seem to be getting only the basic features. Is my car not covered under your program?

Thanks,

Cam