A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Just got my Vag-Com cable and did some mods

Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Just got my Vag-Com cable and did some mods

As has been previously reported with instructions, I have done the following:

1) Remote key control of windows/sunroof open/close - this adds an MMI menu that allows for selection of door windows and sunroof separately. A must if you leave the car and forget to open a window or if the car interior is hot in the summer before you get in. Great for all you 0-60 mph guys.

2) Guage needles sweep - does nothing but looks very cool when you start the car.

3) Disable the winking DRL - this one drove me nuts and now the DRL is on all the time during the day when signaling.

4) Lap Timer - adds a couple of functional windows including split times in the DIS. You get to it by hitting the Reset button on the right hand stalk and cycling until you see the lap timer. Reset the time to zero by holding the reset button down or the reset button on the dash. The split times are marked by hitting the up rocker on the RH stalk. Hitting the doen rocker marks the split time. Cycling the reset lever brings you to a summary of your last split times. I saw that at least 6 splits are available but prob more.

These took all of about 10 minutes using the software for the first time.

Things yet to do:

Set the bit to make the hidden Car-Settings menu available when both MMI buttons are pressed. I want to add the battery guage.

Also want to set the bit that allows the DRLs to remain bright with the side marker lights.

All of this info and how to use the Vag-Com to make these changes are readily available on the forum and on the net.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just got my Vag-Com cable and did some mods

Thanks for the information.

In the hidden car-setting menu can you also get a oil temperature guage as well as the battery guage?

What is the version, cable and source of your Vag-Com.

On order: 2009 A4 2.0T, Prestige, manual 6-speed transmission, quartz gray, rear airbags.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm gonna have to get a damn cable ASAP!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Just got my Vag-Com cable and did some mods

I purchased the cable from Ross-Tech. Not cheap but at least I knew it would work and I would have support. I believe the latest software is 8.05. Anyone can download the software but it will only work with the cable which is self authorizing.

Haven't activated the hidden menu yet so I can't answer that. I'd leave that answer to the experts. Google the web.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another reason to have your own Vag-com is when you bring your car to the dealer for service

if there is a software update, they load it and it can default all your settings to factory spec (happened to me last month). My service dept. will not make all the changes I'd like, i.e. DRL winking (for safety reasons per Audi, they tell me). With your own Vag-com you can reset your options back in minutes w/o having to find someone with a cable to do it.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM
mgm
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions

So all you need to make these changes on your car is a laptop, free software, and a cable? Where do you download the free software? How much is the cable?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Default answers

<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/">http://www.ross-tech.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The software is not really "free" as it requires the Vag-Com cable by Ross-Tech.

The cable (depending on which one you need - see their site) can cost up to $349. W/o the cable, the downloaded software is unusable.

Other cheaper, off-branded cables are out there but there's no guarantee they work correctly as reported by those who have bought them. Plus, you get no support from Ross-Tech unless it's their hardware.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 AM
mgm
AudiWorld Member

Default Tire Pressures?

Anyone know if it's possible to display individual tire pressures with the Vag-Com?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default n00b question: Which cable should I buy?

I tried figuring it out on their site, but couldn't tell exactly what I need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got my Vag-Com cable and did some mods