A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Just ordered wheel hub-bearing assembly. What to prepare for next....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered wheel hub-bearing assembly. What to prepare for next....

Hi, An Audi noob here.

My recently bought 2012 A4 B8 Quattro base sedan drones (~47K). After much deliberation, I decided to change both front wheel bearings. Considered going to the dealer (nearly $1500!), ordering just the *** bearings (~$200) and ordering the hub-bearing assembly from Audi (~$600; part #8K0407607) and ordered the latter last night. I believe with this, I will avoid the trouble of pressing the bearings.

I have seen a couple of threads here on this DIY but still would like some advise as to exactly what tools (and size) will I need, will be difficult to remove the old bearing/hub, tricks and tips. Looks like my axle bolts are 19 mm, wheel nuts are 17 mm and am not sure about the triple square and other nuts/bolts/screws to be removed. How difficult is it to access those triple squares and what kind to wrench (size) will I need? I do not have an impact wrench or any other air tools.

Also, we jacked up a wheel yesterday and didn't quite see the jack stand point with three bolts as seen in some user pics. Any idea where to put jack stand? I have a nice big aluminum jack, should I use just that alone for this purpose?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a plan. I would be interested in your used hubs if in good condition.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Crap! they cancelled the order saying its discontinued Now I have to order bearings and go thru the trouble of removing, pressing.....
Does anyone have a DIY for removing, pressing bearings on A4 B8?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you purchase the hub and bearings separately and assemble to be prepared for the repair?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I can purchase both and find a local shop to press them before installation (I only have one car). Actually ordered *** bearing kits and researching hubs now, they are pricey. Would it be OK to buy a used OEM assembly from people parting cars?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just press them in yourself or take them to a shop.

I can't get into details right now, but if your car was subject to typical American lazy *** winter road conditions where salt was applied, expect some effort removing the hub. It is aluminum on steel, and we all know how that goes. Corrosion city, so plan to spray the joint with penetrating fluid and go watch a movie. Beat on it and de-corrode the aluminum upright and sand/file so the new steel hub fits nicely. Add liberal amounts of grease or anti seize because you will be doing this again in say 30 to 50 thousand miles once again.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This Corrosion on Steel Hub

This Corrosion on Aluminum Upright

Upright
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks steveracer!

Here is what I am up to so far. After ordering F.A.G. bearing kits, I also found some used OEM hub+bearing assemblies for cheap on eb and ordered those as well. I will install these and mess with removal/pressing of F.A.G. later. But will keep them handy just in case.

As far as removal of bad hub+bearing goes, I am going to follow your advise and spray plenty of penetrating oil. Yes, this car was in Jersey for few years before I bought it in Nashville (snows just once a year here, and not much at all). Do you think, if needed, using a chisel+hammer to separate bearing housing from the knuckle is a good idea? Is it possible to hammer those triple squares from behind (using a long bit or something) after loosening them a few turns since I believe the knuckle is not threaded and M12's will be replaced?

Also, it seems only the front passenger bearing has gone bad. Should I replace just that or both fronts?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Changed both bearings finally! Had to soak in penetrating oil (several hours) and chisel the housing off the vertical. Rest all went smooth. Right bearing had the play and some metal bits coming off, left had no play but wasn't smooth when I tried to rotate it. Unfortunately, although it makes significantly less noise now, there still is noise coming from some other part of the drive train (?) at the front end. Mostly between 40-60MPH and pretty annoying around 60MPH. At 80+ there is little vibration as well. What else should I look into and replace next? Will try to record the noise over the weekend and post it.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought ($75 -rather cheep) the front hub-bearing complete assembly from Amazon... There is much ado about German specs and inspection standards of Febest (a German company but made in China)

Visual inspection reveals little in terms of function but others commented negatively (without objective reason) on this brand -- please share comments / experience for the list (?

Quick Reply: Just ordered wheel hub-bearing assembly. What to prepare for next....