A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B7) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Keyless entry issue

Old 12-31-2015, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry issue

Hi guys, first post here! I'm excited to be on the forms. I'm a member of many other car forms and long time lurker here. Previously owned a6 2.7 bi turbo, and a8L v8. Just bought my 09 a4 2.0 TFSI!

now on to my problem, the car is equipped with keyless entry, but I can not get it to work at all. Buttons on the key fob work perfectly from any distance, close to far away. So I think the battery in the fob is good and it appears the fob works. Also I can unlock drivers door, then all doors, and the trunk releases and opens as it should with the button on the fob.

However if I try to pen the door with the fob in my pocket by grabbing the handle...nothing. The car just gives me a blank stair. I tried placing my hands in between the handle and the door, from above and below. Pulling quickly, leaving my hands for a time then pulling. I tried to activate and de activate the locks with my finger on the handle. I tried stroking and caressing it. I even talked to it. Nothing works.

I read during my searches (and I did search by the way, so please put down the flame throwers) that the keyless entry is one of the first things to turn off to save power. I think the battery is fine as the car starts and runs great, everything else works perfectly. Also I have tried the keyless entry immediately after driving the car and still no luck.

It is possible that I am just doing it wrong, as I am new to the car, but I have had it a few weeks now and have read through the manual several times and I'm pretty sure I'm following the procedure correctly.

So audi gurus, if any of you have ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my long winded post and fur your help.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading that if one of the sensors goes, the whole thing fails.

Does the keyless start work?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I do not have keyless start. Although I wish I did.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zygoat
I do not have keyless start. Although I wish I did.
Do you assume it has keyless entry . Do you have the soft rubber button in the door handle that you jut push to lock. If it is a painted button you have the standard lock/unlock using only the key fob. Your typical key fob in the pocket and placing your hand in the door handle won't work . If you don't have push to start you don't have keyless entry.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Perhaps that is the case. The button on the handle is painted. I assumed since there was a "button" on the handle that I had keyless entry. If that's the case no wonder it won't work!

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the apparently silly question.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

To save money, Audi uses the same door handle in all models that offer keyless entry as an option. There's just no sensor behind the "button" in cars without the feature. As I recall, in MY2009 it was included with the Prestige trim.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea, it seems pretty obvious now. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks for the info guys.