A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

License Plate Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Advice Needed

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2012 A4 that came from a state without a front plate requirement. It's got the filler piece in the grill with the two metallic strips that match the grill and right now it looks very nice. Unfortunately, I live in a city that is a stickler about everything and I have street parking so I will get a ticket every night if I don't use a front plate.

Long story short, I'm looking to buy the front plate holder that matches the grill (in black) and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on where my best bet to get it would be. I looked a ECS and Ebay, thinking this might be my best option:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4...ate/ES1875337/

Any thoughts? Also, is this tought to install?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahmen
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2012 A4 that came from a state without a front plate requirement. It's got the filler piece in the grill with the two metallic strips that match the grill and right now it looks very nice. Unfortunately, I live in a city that is a stickler about everything and I have street parking so I will get a ticket every night if I don't use a front plate.

Long story short, I'm looking to buy the front plate holder that matches the grill (in black) and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on where my best bet to get it would be. I looked a ECS and Ebay, thinking this might be my best option:

I believe to replace the grill you need to remove the whole front bumper cover. Now if you are handy and creative you could do what I had to do for my kids 2015. What i did was go to a local junk/salvage yard (also Autozone) and looked for a licence plate holder on any wreck that looked like it would fit. I found one for $5 and using a dremmel cut the grooves in the side to match the grill lines. Using 2 sided tape I got at Homedepot placed it on the grill and drilled 2 of the holes that mount it. Then just mount the plate on it and you are done.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any chance you have a picture of this set up? Trying to imagine it and thinking where I could rig something up like this on my grill.

Last edited by Rahmen; 02-08-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor

The insert has two torx screws underneath, then pops off. The new plate bracket will screw on in the front. You can purchase with me for less. But, I'd need the vin to cross reference the PR codes from your vehicle to make sure it is the correct one. PM the vin to me regardless and I will get you the correct part number. Best of luck.

Audi genuine parts catalog online
Old 02-08-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any chance you have a picture of this set up? Trying to imagine it and thinking where I could rig something up like this on my grill.

Mine was a little different but your looks pretty simple . In fact all you really need is a plate bracket. Just center the plate and locate the plate frame flush with the top center bracket . Get 4 SS screws and drill pilot holes in the plastic . Screw the plate with the frame onto the center section. It will look pretty stock.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So you're thinking I just drill the exsisting filler? I'm not saying I'm opposed to doing that, just want to understand if that's the idea.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Former Vendor

Hello all,

The correct part number for a license bracket for your vin is 8K0-807-285-1QP. The part number for the drivers side foglight is 8T0-941-699-B. You cannot change just the lens it does not come that way.

Audi genuine parts catalog online
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you're thinking I just drill the exsisting filler? I'm not saying I'm opposed to doing that, just want to understand if that's the idea.
Yes or you can pay $150 for the OEM bracket from Audi. Go to someplace like Autozone and get a licence plate frame and some SS screws. Drill 4 small pilot holes using the frame or the plate as the pattern and screw it on. the plastic isn't very thick so don't drill in to far.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Makes sense. I'lll be workign on this this weekend, so I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again for all of the help!