A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Convenience key problem w ignition lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience key problem w ignition lock

Hi there. Just drove our new '09 A4 3.2 Premium from Maplewood Audi in Minneapolis home to Calgary. Everything great until we started programming the HomeLink. Oh oh! We seem to have inserted and removed the key incorrectly. With car shut off, upon opening door you get the chimes and message "Please remove key". When you drive car, you get message "Ignition lock inoperative" (or something) and symbol of key with red X. Dealer says there is a TSB to clean the actual "slot" that the key goes in as the key is not being retained. Is there a home remedy for this? Vacuum out the dust? Dealer can't repair for a few days. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzin
Hi there. Just drove our new '09 A4 3.2 Premium from Maplewood Audi in Minneapolis home to Calgary. Everything great until we started programming the HomeLink. Oh oh! We seem to have inserted and removed the key incorrectly. With car shut off, upon opening door you get the chimes and message "Please remove key". When you drive car, you get message "Ignition lock inoperative" (or something) and symbol of key with red X. Dealer says there is a TSB to clean the actual "slot" that the key goes in as the key is not being retained. Is there a home remedy for this? Vacuum out the dust? Dealer can't repair for a few days. Thanks!
Seeing as the car is so new I would just bring it back to the dealer. It can't take more than 20 minutes for them to apply the fix. Then again I have a dealer less than 15 minutes away, and I'm guessing your ride is not quite as convenient, huh? Maybe try some rubbing alcohol on a long Q-Tip?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, I had the opposite problem once or twice. The car wouldn't release the key! Thankfully cycling the ignition on/off works to trigger the lock.