A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Mileage on Buying a 2nd Hand

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage on Buying a 2nd Hand

Hi All,

I currently drives a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro and absolutely love the car. Now I am looking to getting a newer one possibly a 2010 one to avoid the depreciation. The cars that I am seeing on the market ranges from around 75k to 100k but I am a bit iffy about getting a 2nd hand that already has 100k on it.

My question is, does anyone have experience with a B8 Audi A4 that has very high mileage (assuming that the car was well taken care of) and how is the reliability after 100k?

Thanks,
Hopkins
Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopkinster
Hi All,

I currently drives a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro and absolutely love the car. Now I am looking to getting a newer one possibly a 2010 one to avoid the depreciation. The cars that I am seeing on the market ranges from around 75k to 100k but I am a bit iffy about getting a 2nd hand that already has 100k on it.

My question is, does anyone have experience with a B8 Audi A4 that has very high mileage (assuming that the car was well taken care of) and how is the reliability after 100k?

Thanks,
Hopkins
It depends on what and how you will use the car. If it is a daily driver that you use around town then something with 100K + miles might be OK. If you are looking for an all around car and will be making trips with it my cut off is 100K miles. I would look at something around 75K miles and just keep it until 100K. Also see if you can find either a 1 or 2 owner car. Check to see if it was a CPO car too. Good luck
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to read that Jag, my opinion is exactly the opposite. Based on experience, I find any car to do well in a long road trip. All systems are running optimally and steady state. This takes a lot less wear and tear on the drivetrain.

Bought my 2010 A6 May 1 of this year with 94,700 on the clock. In those 5 years before I had it... it was clearly driven and this means highway driving.

Now.. take a car that is older and handed over from a grand parent to a kid. Sure it's super low miles, but there's always something being fixed and it's not only the kid's fault. Flat spotting is a real thing.. not only in tires, but other items in the engine bay. Much more often, you can drive a high miles younger car for a lot more years than you can a low mileage older car.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Interesting to read that Jag, my opinion is exactly the opposite. Based on experience, I find any car to do well in a long road trip. All systems are running optimally and steady state. This takes a lot less wear and tear on the drivetrain.

Bought my 2010 A6 May 1 of this year with 94,700 on the clock. In those 5 years before I had it... it was clearly driven and this means highway driving.

Now.. take a car that is older and handed over from a grand parent to a kid. Sure it's super low miles, but there's always something being fixed and it's not only the kid's fault. Flat spotting is a real thing.. not only in tires, but other items in the engine bay. Much more often, you can drive a high miles younger car for a lot more years than you can a low mileage older car.
I guess my point was you don't know the type of driving that was done to get to the 100K miles. I have had both low and high mileage cars . I consider low mileage as 3-5K miles a year where high mileage is 20-30K a year. Flat spotting is not a big issue as opposed to a bad turbo. Audi 4 bangers tend to start having more issues over 100K miles regardless of year. I believe the normal avg. mileage is 12K per year so a 2010 would be OK with 60-70K miles but with the oil issues and timing chain problems I wouldn't touch a 100K car unless it had a new or rebuilt engine. Next would be the all wheel drive systems which at high mileage will experience wear requiring replacement. My bride still drives her 1989 Volvo 740 with 352K miles on it so I have had my share of replacement parts through the years. We use it as our local car where we limit it use to staying within our county. Our other cars (Lexus , Jaguar and GMC truck) are used for trips and vacation but will be sold at 50K miles. The Audi is one of my kids cars who lives out of state so even though it is a 2009 and in excellent condition it has reached 70K miles and we are selling it . We will replace it with a 2014-2015 CPO A4 with under 10K miles. Just my opinion here.