A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

MMI oil level odd behavior - showing low one momement then full

Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI oil level odd behavior - showing low one momement then full

Yesterday for the first since purchasing my car, the MMI oil indicator was showing I something other then full - maybe 1/4 down. I checked with my Assenmacher dipstick and it was 3-5 mm down from my only previous reference point about 1.5 months back.

So just to double check things I checked again today. MMI was not full again but only down maybe 1/6th. Figured I better start logging this so was about to take a picture of the display when all of a sudden it jumped all the way to full. I didn't touch/do anything. So I measured it physically again and was pretty much the same level as yesterday.

Anyone else seen anything like this? This is a 2015 with 4500 miles - its a manual so its the same same engine code as pre-facelift models with the plastic intake manifold.

Wondering if Audi has put some logic in the MMI to mask whats really going on with the oil level to keep people (like me) from getting paranoid about the oil issues in earlier models.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ccA4SEA
Yesterday for the first since purchasing my car, the MMI oil indicator was showing I something other then full - maybe 1/4 down. I checked with my Assenmacher dipstick and it was 3-5 mm down from my only previous reference point about 1.5 months back.

So just to double check things I checked again today. MMI was not full again but only down maybe 1/6th. Figured I better start logging this so was about to take a picture of the display when all of a sudden it jumped all the way to full. I didn't touch/do anything. So I measured it physically again and was pretty much the same level as yesterday.

Anyone else seen anything like this? This is a 2015 with 4500 miles - its a manual so its the same same engine code as pre-facelift models with the plastic intake manifold.

Wondering if Audi has put some logic in the MMI to mask whats really going on with the oil level to keep people (like me) from getting paranoid about the oil issues in earlier models.
This is not normal and we assume you are checking it on level ground in the same place as the day before. You are also saying when you check it with the dipstick it is down. How many miles since the last oil change and how many miles on the car. What year is it. Keep an eye on the dipstick and if you are under a CPO warranty take it to the dealer. It may be as simple as the level sensor going bad but if you show oil loss on the dipstick then it is real.