A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

cylinder #2 misfire, cam issue recall????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder #2 misfire, cam issue recall????

Well I had to leave my car at the dealer today cause they are having a hard time diagnosing a misfire issue with #2 cylinder.

All the obvious has been done.
Plugs all new.
They replaced the injector and swapped coils around and the issues still resided at #2 cylinder.

They are also seeing vacuum issue. When they pull the oil cap the enging should kind of fall on its face and it dosent at all....????

Car is a A4
2.0T with 46,000 miles,
car has a FORGE BOV and a intake that is it for aftermarket parts.

They say there is no carbon build up and all four cylinders have been tested for leakdown and compression...

Any suggestions, I know they are going to blame everything on the BOV and intake....

Thanks
Josh
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jpskate8
Well I had to leave my car at the dealer today cause they are having a hard time diagnosing a misfire issue with #2 cylinder.

All the obvious has been done.
Plugs all new.
They replaced the injector and swapped coils around and the issues still resided at #2 cylinder.

They are also seeing vacuum issue. When they pull the oil cap the enging should kind of fall on its face and it dosent at all....????

Car is a A4
2.0T with 46,000 miles,
car has a FORGE BOV and a intake that is it for aftermarket parts.

They say there is no carbon build up and all four cylinders have been tested for leakdown and compression...

Any suggestions, I know they are going to blame everything on the BOV and intake....

Thanks
Josh
Sounds like you should replace the BOV with an OEM and see if the problem goes away. Did they do a smoke test looking for a vacuum leak?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sounds like you should replace the BOV with an OEM and see if the problem goes away. Did they do a smoke test looking for a vacuum leak?

FORGE BOV was installed 36,000 miles with no issues till now. Not sure what they are trying now to diagnose the issue...

You dont think this sounds like the cam actuator recall thing?
Head is noisy at idle only and misfires are at idle only as well, and no misfires when engine is under load.

Thanks

Josh
Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im sure the dealer will try that.....
they better not charge me for one since i have the stock diverter valve at home....

Josh
Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpskate8
You dont think this sounds like the cam actuator recall thing?
Head is noisy at idle only and misfires are at idle only as well, and no misfires when engine is under load.
Why would a cam actuator issue only affect Cyl #2? I thought the whole cam moved, not just the lobes for a specific cyl valves?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by need_TQM
Why would a cam actuator issue only affect Cyl #2? I thought the whole cam moved, not just the lobes for a specific cyl valves?
Man I dont know it was just a shot in the dark. I had heard of random misfire with other people with that issue. On the ECU I see lots of misfires on all cylinders but now on incrementing on #2, only at idle.

I was hoping it was the PVC valve, but they said they tested that.

Thanks
Josh
Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Today the dealer is going to try that this. It was suppose to be this AM and I haven't herd from them since.... 3 days they have been trouble shooting this issue.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

If the issue is your aftermarket BOV (I doubt it) will the dealer then charge you for all the labor and parts?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
If the issue is your aftermarket BOV (I doubt it) will the dealer then charge you for all the labor and parts?
The BOV did not fix the issue, they were going to charge me for the stock diverter valve they installed witch did not get rid of the single cylinder misfire. I told them I had the part at home and asked them to just test with one in-stock.

After that they told me the issue was carbon buildup on the exhaust valves. I asked about this the first day the car was in, I was told they looked good they say they could see them when they took off the intake manifold!?!?!

Next Audi told them to replace the PVC valve/ oil separator.... Guess what that didn fix it...

Now over two weeks later, and two loaner cars. They are telling me that they are going to replace the whole cylinder head!
WOW! Can I get a new car please? this is crazy!

Josh
Old 09-28-2012, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well My A4 was suppose to be delivered to me today. The dealer ran the car around a bit with the the new cylinder head and they were not getting any more misfires.

The driver of the the car made it about 5 min from the delivery destination and the car started acting up again! As I wait over an hour with no call, all my personals pulled out of the loaner car..... I call the dealership to ask if they knew the status of my car? They say they were just looking for my number to call me to let me know.... oh welll...

Also today the dealer had a bill for me $690. previously At one point I was told on the phone all I was paying for was the Stock diverter valve they put in place of my Forge to try in resolve the issue, and the plugs i requested.
So what I was charges for:
Plugs $68
Injector for cylinder #2 $180. I requested this to be replaced.
Diverter-valve $42 Got one of these at home in a box
Sound rite?
After chatting a bit on the phone with the service manager He brought my bill down to $290... But still no car. LOL.
SO Over $5000. in warranty repairs and the car still has an issue. And they still want to charge the customer.

Lets see what they tell me tomorrow AM.

Quick Reply: cylinder #2 misfire, cam issue recall????