A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New '13 A4 owner. Ski sack retrofit question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '13 A4 owner. Ski sack retrofit question

Hello! I'm the proud owner of a "new" 2014 volcano red A4 Premium. As my screen name implies, I am not new to VAG (in any sense of the term). Previous rides: 92 S4, 95.5 S4, B5 A4, B5 S4, and a few others I forgot.

Well, I was so busy checking over my new '13 for mechanical issues that I completely neglected to notice that the "Premium" (ha) doesn't come with 60/40 folding seats or a ski sack. This is a problem.

You see, my life is pretty rough and I ski almost every day despite having a job. So, having a ski pass-through in the armrest is pretty necessary. Has anyone successfully added one to a B8? Any ideas on what I'd be cutting through (steel..wood)? Although my seats don't fold, the armrest does fold and the area behind the armrest is just begging to get cut through.

Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to the forum.

-NothingButVAG
Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ooops, I am not yet allowed to edit typos in my posts, but the 95.5 S-car is an S6 not an S4. I guess editing privileges are earned over time...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a B8 and a B6 Avant. The B8 doesnt have the ski sack, the B6 does. More than a pair of cross country skis I don't think you can fit in the the B6. The problem is, that you need to pass the bindings through the opening for the trunk to close. Well, I was not able to do this on my B8. And since most of the time I go with other people in the car, so multiple pairs of skis....it was useless to me.
I do have the 40/60 split foldable seats. In the B8, the skis fit behind my seat and I can close the trunk. In the B6 I had to put the tips in between the front two seats. Which intrudes in the middle rear seat.
Anyways, I would recommend FIRST trying a ski sack first hand at a dealership, or friend's car. See if it is really useable! And if that is the case, look in junk yards and purchase the entire back rest of the rear seats. Cutting and retrofitting one, would be A LOT of work and unless you are an professional upholsterer, it would end up a botched job. Much easier to remove your back rest and replace with a used, same color/material one!
BUT!!!!! How much would that cost? Check and it might be easier, to purchase a set of roof bars with a ski/snowmobile carrier. You can get a set of universal (square or round) bars from Thule/Yakiima with car specific legs/mounts. This way, when you change your car, you just need new legs/mounts and can keep the bars and the ski carriers. To save you the search, for roof bars and ski carriers, brand new, don't expect to pay less the 500$. Used, you can find them cheaper.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

used to be there was a cut out and the sack fit into it as an accessory.
With so many boarders now Im not sure the dimensions to pass boards thru a sack works in US bound cars.

I get that you'd want this feature as you'll keep your ski's with you. I get you would not want to have your ski's on the top of the car all the time either. They get dirty and at risk to be stolen.

Your looking at compromise at some level. It would be expensive to replace the back seat and A ski box mounted atop a sedan looks awkward.

Let us know what you decide! Good luck!!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a quick update. I cut a ski pass-through. It came out pretty clean and is cosmetically reversible on the cabin side. On the trunk side, some plastic and steel had to go. The pass-through hole itself is lined with taut carpeting from the trunk side. Given what I saw, it may be possibly to retrofit a B5 ski sack for the hole. I bought one for $20 and it's enroute, so that stage of the experiment will happen next weekend most likely. I'll post some photos once I have a final produce (and once I get my **** together to post pics).

This project isn't for the faint of heart. You need a reciprocating saw, cutting wheel tool, sanding/brushing attachments, and an ability to cut right angles on the first try. But if you have skills it's not bad. And hey, if you screw up, the worst is you spend $2k at a junkyard on a new backseat!

Oh, and yeah I agree - the pass through would be too small for a snowboard.