A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New A4 or C300

Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A4 or C300

I have a 3 series BMW E46 with an in line six -- one of the best cars I have ever owned. I test drove a MB C300 today and have to say I was surprisingly pleased. The engine was smoother than the 3 series E90 BMW with their new 2.0T. After that, I drove the A4 2.0T -- not a bad car and my wife likes it a lot. I would rate it behind the new MB C300.

One of the concerns I have is oil consumption, carbon build up and issues with the fuel pumps on this car. I have reads some threads which indicate some of these issues have been resolved. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on these issues. thank you.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Peter Keilich
I have a 3 series BMW E46 with an in line six -- one of the best cars I have ever owned. I test drove a MB C300 today and have to say I was surprisingly pleased. The engine was smoother than the 3 series E90 BMW with their new 2.0T. After that, I drove the A4 2.0T -- not a bad car and my wife likes it a lot. I would rate it behind the new MB C300.

One of the concerns I have is oil consumption, carbon build up and issues with the fuel pumps on this car. I have reads some threads which indicate some of these issues have been resolved. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on these issues. thank you.
My first post on this forum.

Yesterday, after months of test driving the usual suspects in the entry-lux sport sedan - A4 2.0T Quattro, C300 4MATIC, 328ix and 335ix, I ended up with a 2012 A4 2.0T Quattro PP. The car is a perfect blend of all the great attributes of the BMW and the MB.

The choice should be yours. You gonna have to live with the car you buy. Buy the one that makes you smile when you walk to and/or away from it, with no regrets. If you don't love it, don't do it... Just MHO.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks and best of luck with the new car!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Peter - can you explain a bit about your preferences and what led you to your original impressions?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're referring to the current BMW 3 series, it's the F30. There is no BMW E90 with a 'new 2.0T'. The E90's last year of production was 2011.

From the reviews I've read, if I were choosing between the new MB C series sedan and the current A4 sedan, I'd give the nod to the Merc. It's an all-round better car.

However, if I were choosing between the current A4 Allroad and the new C class wagon, I'd choose the Allroad, simply because MB, in it's wisdom, has decided not to bring the MB C class wagon to North America.

Keep in mind, in 2015, Audi will introduce an all-new A4 (as a 2016 model). It will likely catch up to the new C class.

Regarding the concerns you raised, Audi appears to have fixed the oil consumption issue. As for carbon build-up and high pressure fuel pumps, those problems have not been unique to Audi - they've existed with BMW and Merc, too.

I've just bought a 2014 Allroad, and I researched it carefully. The 2014-2015 are very well sorted by now. You can reasonably expect the new Merc to have some teething issues.

Perhaps I should add that I've owned BMW's for the past 18 years. I'm a huge BMW fan. Moving over to Audi wasn't an easy decision, but the Allroad fit the bill better than the BMW F31. The AR has a better cargo area, a better ride, and is better equipped.

HTH.

R

Last edited by roger_1; 12-01-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Roger -
As an 18 year BMW person I ave a question:
I have had Audi's for a while now but always feel when riding in a friend's BMW that their doors slam with a more solid feel and sound than any Audi I have ever been in. A lot of the Audi's will sound tinny or the window glass rattle if you slam the door shut with the window down half way. A friend of mine has a 3 Series ragtop and I am amazed at how bank vault like the doors are. You can slam them with the top down and the windows all up, half down or all the way down and the sound and feel are the same - solid. Any thoughts on this point?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From 2012+ the A4 no longer has oil problems. Carbon is unknown. My only initial gripe with the C300 is that ridiculous floating screen. It's so awful I would disregard that car just out of spite.

I'm a little cool on Benz. My wife has a 2013 GLK and it's nice, but my A4 drives better and has a better interior. We've also had very few issues with the GLK - it's a solid car. I also drove a new C250 loaner and it was a huge letdown. BUT I'd still like to try the 300 just to see what's improved....
Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Roger -
As an 18 year BMW person I ave a question:
I have had Audi's for a while now but always feel when riding in a friend's BMW that their doors slam with a more solid feel and sound than any Audi I have ever been in. A lot of the Audi's will sound tinny or the window glass rattle if you slam the door shut with the window down half way. A friend of mine has a 3 Series ragtop and I am amazed at how bank vault like the doors are. You can slam them with the top down and the windows all up, half down or all the way down and the sound and feel are the same - solid. Any thoughts on this point?

I never slam the door on any car, and I don't know why anyone would.

Both BMWs and Audis are well built. As for a used car, the model, year, and how it was treated, will all make a difference.

As for a new car, go to the respective dealerships and close doors to your heart's content.

You may also want to consider other factors - engine, transmission, ride, handling, interior space, ergonomics....
Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
I never slam the door on any car, and I don't know why anyone would.

Both BMWs and Audis are well built. As for a used car, the model, year, and how it was treated, will all make a difference.

As for a new car, go to the respective dealerships and close doors to your heart's content.

You may also want to consider other factors - engine, transmission, ride, handling, interior space, ergonomics....
I guess one guy’s “slam” is another’s “close firmly.” That is all I was asking about. What makes you think I do not consider things like “- engine, transmission, ride, handling, interior space, ergonomics”?
I was asking a limited question about a relatively minor area of some concern to me where I thought BMW might have an edge (one of few). Your mention of 18 years of BMW ownership (versus my zero years) suggested to me you might provide useful input since you now have an Audi.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I guess one guy’s “slam” is another’s “close firmly.” That is all I was asking about. What makes you think I do not consider things like “- engine, transmission, ride, handling, interior space, ergonomics”?
I was asking a limited question about a relatively minor area of some concern to me where I thought BMW might have an edge (one of few). Your mention of 18 years of BMW ownership (versus my zero years) suggested to me you might provide useful input since you now have an Audi.
Not to quibble, but in your original post, you mentioned 'slamming' the door, no fewer than three times.

I close a car door firmly enough for the latch to close, and no harder than that. I've never understood why some people slam car doors. The trick to avoid slamming doors is to keep one's hand on the handle until the door is closed, rather than 'throwing' the door at the car.

All my BMW's have been solid cars - the doors closed with a solid thunk. But then, I've always taken care not to close them any harder than necessary. My bother's Z4's doors sound horribly tinny.

As for comparing the BMW 3 and the Audi A4, the 4 cylinder turbo in the BMW is more powerful and efficient than the Audi 2.0 TFSI. Although they have the same transmission, the BMW's has superior programming. The BMW's handling is superior. The Audi does a better job with the interior, and the sport package is excellent.

I chose the Allroad over the BMW 3 wagon because the former has a larger cargo space with the rear seats up, and overall offers better value. The Allroad has more presence.

With regard to my comment pertaining to a car's other attributes, I'd mistaken you for the OP, who is shopping for a car - that's why I mentioned the other considerations. I have no idea what you do and don't consider when you buy a car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New A4 or C300