A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Audi Owner and Navi Retrofit Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharontha
Thanks! Will look this up. The bezel was a perfect fit on the surface. If its wrong. The chances r I will need to chg the monitor
huh....maybe I'm wrong but your display part no. looks correct but your bezel part no. is for the 6.5" 2G High display. ???

Can you post a picture of the display and bezel mated up?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cory_can
huh....maybe I'm wrong but your display part no. looks correct but your bezel part no. is for the 6.5" 2G High display. ???

Can you post a picture of the display and bezel mated up?
Does anyone want to upgrade to 2G high? I have a bezel which I'm not going to be using. You were right. My dumb behind only read the words the "MMI high navigation" on The EBay description. So now I'm in the market for a new bezel. Really tricky bec you would have never noticed it.

When I was looking at it I looked to see if it would fit left to right. Which is a perfect fit. You really do not notice the top and bottom fit unless you look at the contact points from the back/side. So anyway now I need to go look for a new bezel.

Definitely tot against my personality and could very well be called a therapudic project. Golf is still better though. :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Status on the MMI Install

How did you make out with the retro fit of the equipment? I'm in North NJ also and looking to do this for my Audi Q7
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by P549RR1
How did you make out with the retro fit of the equipment? I'm in North NJ also and looking to do this for my Audi Q7
This is the first week in about a month I have been able to dedicate on this project over the past few weeks past 3 or 4 weeks because of work and a new baby.

Where about in NJ?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update....

So I did a dry run as I mentioned 2 weeks ago, just to get an idea on where all the components are and mostly to figure out how to access the needed areas without having to get frustrated.

This actually worked out great because the hardest thing to remove was the darn glove box because there was a screw behind the AMI which the directions I was referring to did not mention.

After that I was basically able to connect the display DVD drive with the Kufatec harness and the CAN Gateway.

with everything connected I was able to start the car at which point
  • The MMI Splash Screen came on the 7" display(The color looks MUCH BETTER
  • Set off the dash warning for the handbrake(was disconnected when I started the car) and for the airbag prob because of the diff gateway.
  • realized I needed the Fakra cable extensions for the nav and the Sat because I did not see anything behind the Symphony unit.
  • Realized that I needed another bracket to hold the DVD/head unit securely in the dash.
  • Needed to actually figure out the wiring diagrams because the Kufatec harness has no directions or color coded wires.
  • The security "SAFE" displayed on the dash for the security unlock from the dealer.

So to put it in short after 2 odd hours of exploring I was left with only a splash screen, 2 warning lights and 2 lost screws.

Next step was to actually get serious on this project and I decided to go invest in the Bentley manual and a Ross-Tech VCDS because I will need these in the future. The VCDS is a lot of fun to mess with but I the Bentley manual is a gold mine. just actually starting to understand the wiring after doing some reading last night.

Also thanks to Cory I realized that I bought the wrong bezel.
Took up David's Advice on taking advantage of the MOST system and just now got off eBay and ordered a B&O 10 channel MOST Amp. part number 8T0035223M.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261093329864...S:3160&vxp=mtr

I really was not planning on buying this today but came across this part on eBay for $600 for a brand new unit which will ship from the US. I put in a best offer of $400 not thinking it will get accepted but guess what 30 min ago it did and now will wait for this. Just went with it on this because it's a 10 Channel MOST B&O amplifier but now I also need to figure out the speaker situation. I know kinda like putting the horse before the cart but did not expect the seller to accept the offer.

So if anyone has any advise on the speakers please feel let me know. wondering if I can tag along with the current set for a while and not have to think about installing the speakers. in addition to the speaker cost it will be a pain in my *** to replace all the speakers. thinking the quality will be noticeable but manageable if I can go ahead with the current speaker because the brains in the audio operation is the amp and the head unit.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just ordered te 2 Fakra cables.... Should be here by Fri and the MOST B&O amp is sched to be here Sat( being shipped via USPS so it will be here next Wed)

Dave mentioned that I needed the Sirius Fakra cable. I do believe I need it because when I removed the interior cover and looked at the antenna booster I did not see the SIRIUS Fakra cable. This is supposed to be the "Curry" color Fakra and the Blue nav Fakra. Looked behind the Symphony head unit and the Only connection I had was for the Phone.

So here is my question....

How do I have Sirius SAT radio with nothing connected at the booster? An I sup to look for something else?

Like I said Said; I trust Dave's intuition so I ordered the cable. Worse come worse I return it or sell it. Just glad that he brought it up.

Also one other thing... Some of the issues I'm running in to and the questions i ask is prob annoying to some of the more senior members. Tha being said I think if I can finish this project. I will be able to put together Some basic directions where any other novice may use in the future.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidB5
Don't start pulling things apart just yet. If you've shown everything in your pictures your missing a few very important key items.

First of all how are you going to get the SAT and GPS signals into your head unit? I don't see wiring or antenna in your picture.

Also whats the use of having NAV if you can't hear it? The MOST systems use a MOST amplifier. I don't see that in the picture. Maybe you have other plans or something.

I have actually looked at this mod a lot in the past trying to figure out how to offer kits.

Since I just retrofitted the new 3G plus system into my 3G car I'll be putting together a full retrofit kit using my spare parts. I wont be using a Kufatec harness though, I have other sources that are slightly better priced and they get made in an Audi OEM harness factory.
If memory serves, this is DavidB8 from AZ/audienthusiasts.com ?

To the OP, David is THE man when it comes to retrofitting anything and everything on the B8. He's currently working on getting the newest Nav w/ Google Earth & Audi Connect into our cars as well as a Heads Up Display.

You should either PM or write to him through his website to work out some of the finer details or if you get stuck. He's super knowledgeable.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
If memory serves, this is DavidB8 from AZ/audienthusiasts.com ?

To the OP, David is THE man when it comes to retrofitting anything and everything on the B8.
Absoloutly.. hence my point about trusting his intuition.

The first thing you learn when researching an Audi retrofit is not about the actual retrofit itself but finding out David the magician.... I think David has a higher Google rank on the search phrase "Audi Retrofit" than most of the retrofits themselves.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sat doesn't hook to booster it hooks to antenna.

SAT, NAV and GSM are direct off antenna and the rest go off the window antenna.

Little concerned about your amp. It's a pre 2009 amp. The proper part number would be AN but keep your fingers crossed.

FYI anyone else thinking or looking to do this, I can get just about all the parts you need for this NEW at a fraction of dealer cost.

I am actually in the middle of putting together a 3G kit as I have upgraded all of my equipment to the new 3G equipment for testing.

Lots to think about most of which has been posted already. Your close now as long as the revision of your amp and radio work out.

And for reference:

Blue = NAV
Green = SAT / TV / HD radio
Violet = GSM
White = Radio
Grey = Keyless
Beige = One use is Aux heater
Water Colour = Universal and fits all Fakra. This is all you can get from Audi now.

I used to get most of my cables from a place called RFSupplier since they do proper colours and custom do connectors and lengths cheaper than Audi. I also keep a water colour gender changer and straight trough jumper just in case I ever order or have the wrong cable on hand. With an mini water colour extension male-male and female-female you can pretty well make any cable work for what you need it to.

Last edited by DavidB5; 09-22-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidB5
FYI anyone else thinking or looking to do this, I can get just about all the parts you need for this NEW at a fraction of dealer cost.

I am actually in the middle of putting together a 3G kit as I have upgraded all of my equipment to the new 3G equipment for testing.

Lots to think about most of which has been posted already. Your close now as long as the revision of your amp and radio work out.
Wish I had known prior to buying my stuff. Thanks for all the info! Btw also mailed you via your website....

Quick Reply: New Audi Owner and Navi Retrofit Project