A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New to Audi & realized there is an oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Audi & realized there is an oil issue

Hi there! I'm a new member, and joined this group because I've found a lot of answers in here, so I'm hoping you can help. I bought a used 2010 A4 2.0 Quattro Premium Plus back in December 2014 with 77,100 miles. I barely drove it through the winter and kept it in the garage. Now I've been commuting with it almost daily since mid-March. I've now learned there has been an oil consumption issue with this year A4. It is now out of control - this car wants oil almost every day - the MMI is showing low oil level, and I've been adding a pint every time it asks. There are no other warning lights, and if the piston rings, etc. were shot, I think I'd see a heck of a lot of soot coming out the back - this is not the case. I replaced the PCV valve over the weekend, and the problem has gotten worse. Could it be possible that the oil change interval needs to be reset when I'm topping off? The only thing I could think of is that there is too much oil and the MMI isn't registering, which could be causing the excessive oil burn. The car runs and drives like a dream, and I highly doubt the engine is shot. I've also read that the hood sensor could cause the low oil warning to not reset if the hood isn't open for more than 30 seconds. I'm so confused, the car seems absolutely fine other than low oil every other day. Please help!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Did the car have an extended warranty? Audicare? A private warranty?

Certain years and models had bad engines and consumed oil, Audi provided (and might still provide) assistance past the warranty terms, but you'd have to contact a local dealer to have them determine the problem and whether Audi-US would be willing to take any action, or whether you are stuck with an oil-burner unless you pay for repairs.

If the oil problem was known to the previous owner/seller...failing to let you know about it might be actionable, but that's a whole other issue.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bought from a high-end used car dealership - no warranty other than a 30-day/1,000 mile, which goes quick. If there really is a serious issue with this car, I will be contacting Audi and giving them hell for it. There is no reason why this type of car should have a bad engine. I wish I would've known it sooner. Clean Carfax though as far as repairs go - regular maintenance and no issues.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Giving Audi hell: A pointless exercise, as they have already taken their knocks, litigated the matter, and made repairs and other accomodations to the owners.

Your beef now should be with the dealership that sold it to you, because THEY should be fully aware of what they are buying and selling, and they damn well should have known a 2010 Audi might have an oil consumption problem. Which MIGHT have been covered by Audi back then, or MIGHT have been covered to the original owner, but it less likely to get any coverage for you, now.

Find out what Audi can do--bearing in mind, they are probably obligated to do nothing--and then tear a new one in the dealer who sold it to you.

Audi has had mixed reviews, mixed reputation, for mechanical problems for quite a long time. It is only very recently that they (knock wood) have been getting better reviews for quality.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. I just put in a call to a local dealership, and they are going to research the VIN and see if they find anything. Taking the first steps here. Just crazy to think that no one could be responsible for this. This is a major issue in a high end car. I'd hate to be the one stuck with a lemon and costly repairs.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, ultimately? Not to rub salt in a wound but sometimes we all make expensive mistakes. As a buyer, it is your job to research the vehicle, Consumer Reports and such are usually available free at the library. Even then you can't find out everything all the time.
But there are warranty laws (state and federal) that set and limit responsibility on Audi's behalf. And then there are more warranty laws, and consumer protection and disclosure laws that govern the seller's responsibility to you. You might want to contact your local (county? state?) "Consumer Affairs" people to find out what those are, and if necessary, contact a local or network TV Nooze "Consumer" reporter to notch up the pressure on the dealer.

Many avenues to explore, but lessons from a zen master, or sedatives, probably will make the job easier.(G)

Good luck with it.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They will probably do an oil consumption test to determine whether or not your oil consumption is within spec (which it most likely isn't based on what you said).

They should pay it... if they don't, then mention to them that there is currently a class action lawsuit going on regarding the oil consumption (which is true).

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Going in for an oil consumption test on Monday. Dealer is not charging me. I'll keep yas posted. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi All,
I bought a 2009 A4 Quatro a couple of months ago. I had a non Audi dealer garage service it, I know the owner very well and always looks after me.

Today took it to the Audi dealer for a LED light fix under the warranty I have. PO had purchased the Fidelity Warranty program.

It also had the oil light showing which I expected to be an electrical fault as the service was weeks ago. That's when the dealer told me the engine was almost dry which I replied "can't be, just had it serviced".

A bit of googling around and I found out about the oil consumption problems with 09 and 10 models.

Read somewhere that the claim to replace the problem parts is only offered if you can prove the oil maintenance has been done with an audi dealer.

Anyone know if I am screwed for using a non Audi dealer for the last service?

Anyone know if my fidelity warranty would cover this?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your "fidelity" warranty sounds like a private contract, you'd have to read it and discuss that with them.

Rashly assuming you are here in the Colonies:

"Read somewhere that the claim to replace the problem parts is only offered if you can prove the oil maintenance has been done with an audi dealer.
Anyone know if I am screwed for using a non Audi dealer for the last service? "

Well, it is was being handled as an Audi warranty matter? There's about 40 years of federal law and state law that says all you'd have to do is show proof of proper servicing and oiling, i.e. show a receipt that an Audi-approved oil was used, not "JunkAll 10-30".

Flip a coin to figure out if Audi has the brains to avoid the wrath of the federal court system by insisting on a different standard for their own non-warranty program, because that would open them up to potential charges that the whole thing is caused by defective manufacturing and design, and liabilities arising from that. Way cheaper and smarter for them to hold it up to the same standards as warranty work, i.e. you prove it go the right oil, and they should have no say in who did it.
Only way to be sure is to ask them, right?

Quick Reply: New to Audi & realized there is an oil issue