A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires

Looking into purchasing some new tires for summer/dry weather next year.

I have the Pirelli P7 All Seasons on my '14 A4 Quattro now. Curious to see how they perform in the brutal Chicago winters we have. I'm not a huge fan of them in dry conditions as they're not a super soft ride. Would like to get something that provides the best ride comfort and feel. I had ContiPro Contacts in the past and they seemed better. Don't know a how lot about tires. Any suggestions/expertise would help.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last A4 I got Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Great tire, IMO. MUCH quieter than the P6's. They rode stiffer and tracked tighter than the P6, but most people seem to think they're a soft tire.

I like the P7's better than P6, but they're still really loud. Can't wait till they wear out and I can get back into DWS
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
My last A4 I got Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Great tire, IMO. MUCH quieter than the P6's. They rode stiffer and tracked tighter than the P6, but most people seem to think they're a soft tire.

I like the P7's better than P6, but they're still really loud. Can't wait till they wear out and I can get back into DWS
Great info. I plan on using these for summer conditions only and going with my P7's in winter. With that being said, would the DW rather than the DWS make more sense?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been really happy with the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position. Great in the wet, and exceptional in the dry. Pretty quiet and wearing well also. Highly recommend.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scalco23

I have the Pirelli P7 All Seasons on my '14 A4 Quattro now. Curious to see how they perform in the brutal Chicago winters we have. I'm not a huge fan of them in dry conditions as they're not a super soft ride. Would like to get something that provides the best ride comfort and feel. I had ContiPro Contacts in the past and they seemed better. Don't know a how lot about tires. Any suggestions/expertise would help.

Thanks!
I am running Cooper Zeon RS3-A SIZE Ultra High Performance and loving them so far, I had the p7 prior and had no complaints about them other than the tread not out lasting the car.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm on my 2nd set of DWS tires. First set lasted me almost 5 years. I'm hoping this will be the last set of tires I'll need before I trade the car in.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had DWS Extreme Contacts on my A4 and they were great - we just put them on our A3 and the ride is wonderful. They are also excellent in wet weather and snow that is not deep enough to require snow tires. Very well regarded by Consumer Reports and reasonably priced.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had one set of DWS on my car and another on my wife's. Best A/S tire in snow, otherwise sub-par handling on dry and wet. Won't buy them again - you basically get what you pay for. I find Goodyear F1 Asymmetric A/S to be a much better fit for my spirited driving and the weather conditions where I live.
A tire tread with this shape cannot be good for cornering. You need 4 grooves for that.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2

Originally Posted by scalco23

Thanks!
OEM Pirellis are not a very good tire. Ahem. Anything will be better.

Hankook VSN2 are available in A4 17" size. Have on my 2010 Miata. Love the Hankooks, a strong but compliant quiet and comfortable tire. Low money. Will put on my 2010 A4 fairly soon. They are not winter tires, which I also have on dedicated rims. They are 3 season tires.

Made in Singapore, which means "new advanced manufacturing." P7 is Mexico, "new cheap manufacturing".

Hankook is not an off-brand, HQ is in Korea. Hank's naming needs help, this tire's name is a long gibberish mouthful.

Try reading reviews on TireRack. Get a feel for the writers' views before taking what they say to heart. The TireRack database is really good.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would prefer my wife does not corner. Just had to put two DWS on the front after she shredded one on an exit curb. They are fine for the nail salon trips. Next to get a new screen for her smashed month old iPhone 6. Getting to be a Henny Youngman routine.

Quick Reply: New Tires