A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Newbie requires a few questions answered by B8 A4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie requires a few questions answered by B8 A4 owners

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well.

Its great to be a part of this forum. I am new and this is my first post, so I thought id start with a quick intro.

I am in the market for an Audi A4 B8 (face lift model 2013 onwards) but I currently don't know much about them.

I have only experienced/owned Japanese cars in the past; from Nissans, Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas & Subaru. The one thing I can comment about those cars is, their reliability is unquestionable. For what I had, Each an every one of them were almost bullet proof. They take a beating and keep soldiering on.

But now at the age of 34, I figured I wouldn't mind indulging in a luxury Euro car once in my life and this will be my first European car. Im sure you can all also agree, that the styling of Audis, exceeds all other Euro cars

Anyhow, I have a few questions that I wouldn't mind answered and would likely influence my decision on what to buy in an Audi 2013 onwards B8 A4

• What should I be looking for or looking out for, when buying a 2nd hand B8 2013 onwards A4?

• 1.8T Vs. 2.0T petrol motors, I find there are much more 1.8Ts for sale than 2.0T.. I heard 1.8T are lemons, if so, can anyone shed some light on this topic??

• Font wheel drive B8 A4 vs. Quattro B8 A4, it seems there are more FWD versions available, are they lemons and unreliable compared to AWD?

• how are the diesel versions? I prefer petrol due to flexibility and availability at gas stations... how are they compared to petrol in terms of owning one?

• Lane guidance - where the mirror lights up for vehicles in blind spots - are these expensive or big job to install (if the car did not come with it as option?)

• Non daytime-running lights LED headlight and taillight B8 A4s (normal halogen globes), are these expensive to convert to LED or easy to replace (if the car did not come with it as option?)

If someone could help me with the above queries, it would be greatly appreciated as I will be fairly rushed in buying one due to family situation at home.

Kind regards,
Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm guessing you are from the UK, yes? The 1.8 is not available in North America but I would imagine the 2.0T will be faster and more satisfying to drive.

FWD is not less reliable but Quattro is what Audi has been known for - better balanced, more fun on the twisty roads. I would imagine most here will agree Quattro is definitely the way to go.

Again, no diesel B8s available here in NA so can't advise on that. On the larger Audis where a diesel variant is available, preference is split between the two. You should drive both and see for yourself. Be aware that Audi is included in the worldwide VAG diesel engine emissions scandal.

Side Assist is what you are asking about - given enough money, anything can be upgraded but it will always be best to find the car with the features you want. Same would be true for trying to add LED DRLs after the fact.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm guessing you are from the UK, yes? The 1.8 is not available in North America but I would imagine the 2.0T will be faster and more satisfying to drive.

FWD is not less reliable but Quattro is what Audi has been known for - better balanced, more fun on the twisty roads. I would imagine most here will agree Quattro is definitely the way to go.

Again, no diesel B8s available here in NA so can't advise on that. On the larger Audis where a diesel variant is available, preference is split between the two. You should drive both and see for yourself. Be aware that Audi is included in the worldwide VAG diesel engine emissions scandal.

Side Assist is what you are asking about - given enough money, anything can be upgraded but it will always be best to find the car with the features you want. Same would be true for trying to add LED DRLs after the fact.

I'm actually from Australia. We have 1.8T & 2.0T petrol and I believe 1.8T & 2.0T diesel. I think there is also a V6 variant. (im not sure why all except the S4 has the exhaust coming from one side only, where in the US, it appears to have exhaust from both sides of the bumper)

Apparently the 1.8 TFSI has 125kw (160hp) & 320NM, im assuming that's not a lot for this car's weight?

Yes I'm familiar with AWD performance, my weekender that sits in the garage (collecting dust) is an 2007' Mitsubishi EVO IX with approx. 260wkw (360whp) and has AYC/ACD on its AWD and handles like a dream at the track even without coilovers.
but im really looking forward to an Audi for a daily and for its luxury.
As long as FWD is not inferior compared to the AWD. shame Audi doesn't make a RWD.

with regards to options, Its a shame that Audi appears to be extremely frugal with options.
I'm assuming the side assist, would be an expensive exercise to install (much more than the initial cost as an option?)
With LEd head and tail lights? are they a straight swap?, I assume the HID ballast is built in the headlight.
Keyless entry also another expensive exercise?

Anything else I should know or should be look out for buying an Audi B8?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't believe that B8 has LED head ligths as option. Perhaps you are referring to the LED DRL that comes with HID head lights. Retrofitting options require, for most of them, extensive work as many control units are specific and in principle no harness is prepared for it. Do the research first before buing a car with missing options.
Of course you will deside for yourself after trying out a FWD. I wouldn't buy anything but quattro. (I have an A4 B8.5 with the 3.0TFSI supercharged engine that was, at least, available in Europe. Very nice engine and fairly agile with adaptive dampers and Dynamic Steering, Active Sport Differential ...)
Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here in the US all 2013-2016 A4 are B8.5 facelift with HID headlights, LED DRL in front and LED rear running lights. There are only 2.0l engines available in B8.5 and they are considered more reliable over the earlier ones. I personally did not even consider a FWD as the Quattro's dynamics in acceleration and cornering far outweigh the cost savings in my eyes.

Grey