A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Newcomer questions

Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newcomer questions

Just acquired my first Audi, a 2014 A4 Premium. I have a couple basic questions I'd appreciate some help with.

Premium fuel? Bought the car from a wholesaler with a full tank of fuel. Strongly suspect it had been running 87 octane for some time. Tailpipe is very dark black, sooty. Check engine light came on before first refill, code P013E (delayed response, rich to lean, bank 1, sensor 2). Second tank of premium fuel almost gone with no return of code. Is it that sensitive to lower octane fuel?

What's that noise? Every time I open a door I hear a 2-3 second noise like the seat is being re-positioned, but I don't see anything move (don't have the memory seats). What is that?

Any recommendations regarding engine oil? I've read some of the posts about engine oil. I've always been a Mobil 1 user and it looks like their 0-40W is VW 502 approved, and most commentators seem to support a 5,000 mile oil/filter change. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

91 octane or better. You can run E85 too. Even with high octane you'll get sooty tailpipes - that's an Audi trademark. Mine stay clean for 3 days. You might wanna run a can of BK44 in your next tank: clean out any crud in the injectors. Maybe last owner was using the cheapest gas they could find.

Hard to say about noise. Fuel pump priming? That's a high pitched sound. Are you setting your ebrake? That's a much louder hydraulic mechanical sound.

Anything VW 502 spec is fine. I use Castrol. But whatever. The engineers who built you car specify 10k miles for oil change. Are you tracking your car? Then just stick with 10k.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise

I have that same noise but never questioned it. I always thought that it was the car welcoming me and waiting for me to place my rear end on the driver's seat.
You are right it happens all the time and stops in 2 seconds.
Since I don't see any error code lights I ignore it.

Search this Thread