A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

oil consumption settlement

Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption settlement

I bought my 2010 audi a4 in February 2013 with 44k miles. It was already burning a lot of oil but was still had 11 months or about 5,000 miles of original warranty left. I went to volkswagen, porsche, audi of Fresno and the service manager explained to me that the oil consumption was normal because it was a high performance engine, emission standards required the engine to run hotter, it had direct injection, and also because it had to achieve high mileage. After this explanation they refused to run tests on my car and nothing is documented because that place is now closed and changed location to Audi of Fresno. I went over the 50k mile warranty and it was burning a quart of oil about every 700 miles. In June 2014 I had about 74k miles and I payed about 400$ for phase 1 at Audi of Fresno and the service manager assured me that phase 1 fixed 99% of the cars with that issue. On April 8th 2015, car is burning 1quart/500 miles!, I Googled audi b8 oil consumption. I found out that there was a settlement on January 28 that I was never informed about! I visited Audi of Fresno, car had about 85k miles, and they didn't help me in fact both service representatives suggested I sell the car so somebody else could deal with it or sell it to carmax. I called audi of America and the representative was very rude and not helpful at all. What should I do now?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by srjustice
. . . What should I do now?
Wow, that is some story! But it just doesn't sound right. Let me tell you about my experience:

Several years ago, when my A4 had about 35,000 miles on it, I noticed it was using about 1qt of oil per 1,200 miles. I took it to the dealership and they told me they would have to run a test. The test consisted of them topping off my oil, and then me driving my car until the low-oil warning light came on, at which time I was to return to the dealership and they would determine whether I qualified for a fix.

Since I was about to embark on a long trip, I decided to hold off on the test, since I didn't want the light to come on when I was was in the middle of my 800-mile trip. After that, I kind of put it in the back of my mind since I read in these forums that 1,200 miles per quart was considered "normal."

Fast forward to my receiving the class-action lawsuit notice in the mail. I was a little worried about bringing my car back to the dealership because my car was now out of warranty, had 50,000 miles on it, and I had been doing my own oil and filter chances since my AudiCare expired. I thought the dealership was going ask me to produce receipts and other proof that I had done the work myself. But I figured it coudn't hurt to go back and see what they'd say.

I went to the dealship for another problem, and mentioned to the service rep that my car was using 1 quart of oil every 1,200 miles. He said, without blinking an eye, "OK, let's see if we can set you up with an appointment." I got an appointment for two days later, they gave me a brand new A4 loaner car, and that afternoon they called me up and said my car was ready. The rep said to me that the car would, because of its design, still use "a little oil, but nothing like you were experiencing before."

I'm happy to report that he was right. I took an 800-mile trip on Easter weekend, and have put several hundred more miles on my car since then, and my oil is down only about 1/8 of a quart. Previously, it would have been down at least 3/4 of a quart. So I'm a happy camper.

Too bad this couldn't have been fixed earlier, however, since I'm hoping to trade the car in within another year, providing the new B9 model is out.

Getting back to you, is there any way you could bring your car to another dealership?

Last edited by A4Driver; 04-18-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the nearest Audi dealership is at least 150 miles away. Do you recommend I call another dealership and tell them my story?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by srjustice
I believe the nearest Audi dealership is at least 150 miles away. Do you recommend I call another dealership and tell them my story?
I think you should call the other dealership, but don't tell them what you went through with your local dealer and AoA. That might influence their response to you. I would just tell them about what is wrong with your car, and see what they say.