A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Thoughts on new 12 Avant

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on new 12 Avant

Just took delivery of an Ibis White 2012 P+ with sport pkg, B&O, advanced key, wood trim, weather mats, and chrome tailpipes

I'm coming from an 04 Stg 2 WRX: felt it time to grow up a little

First off big thanks to the frequent contributors to this site. Sorry to "copy" many cars on this site, quattro's and other ibis avants. But you guys made it look so good!

1. It was 35 degrees here last night when I went for a long first drive: boy, the turbo really loves the cold weather. Should be interesting to see how it fares in hot humid weather. My first mod was going to be an APR chip, but so far I'm really happy with the performance!

2. Thought I would hate the progressive steering, but it has been really firm when I needed it! The old man in me enjoys twirling the wheel in the parking garage and grippping it in banked turns

3. The seats / wheel / positioning so far have been great. Surprised at how low the car feels (about the same as my lowered WRX). Very stable although I can now read all the cross-frame bushings on any SUV in the midwest.

4. B&O system so far has been fair. May need to play around with the settings.

5. Advanced Key: what a great standalone feature!

6. Looks: stunning.

So far my first Audi, and had a great experience with the dealershi. They prepped the car beautifully and everyone was very nice. Looking at posts, probably did not get the lowest price, nor the highest price which is OK with me. They did sell me the 7yr extended warranty for 3600 which I must had a brain fart because I bought it. Have heard horror stories of Audi repairs and didn't want to pay big bills down the road. That being said, I will cancel it today as I don't think it's worth it.

Can't wait to get it to Autobahn Country club or Road America next spring/summer!
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where are you located?

We're picking up our 2012 Avant next week, can't wait...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Picked up my 2012 Avant P+ with Sports Pack this summer and so far have 10,000+ flawless miles on it. I have been VERY happy with mine so far. I didn't go with the ext. warranty but based on the mileage I am doing (All interstate travel back and forth to Northern NY to CT) I am thinking about adding it on.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in the same boat as you coming from a stage II wrx. The avant doesn't have the "put you back in your seat" feeling like the wrx or other turbo cars i've had but, it's still got a bit of pep. With 8spd being so smooth, i find it very easy to creep up to high speeds without knowing.

I opted to not get the extended warranty. Might get one later but didn't want to shell out the bucks for a 7 year warranty in case i total the car before then.

Overall I love it and hope you will too.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Located in Iowa; gearing up for a cold winter (Had the dealer mount my winter rim/tire setup at time of delivery)

Great to hear someone else coming from a WRX: brothers from another mother! I still miss the WRX, it got me through everything and it was really fun to learn to drive, mod, break, and then put things back together! I sold it to a good friend, so I know it's being taken care of.

One word of advice. I cancelled my extended warranty today (dealer was being a little bit of a pain in the but to do it, but he rewrote the paperwork and took it out altogether.) Anyway, the warranty is negotiable! They offered to knock down $500 and "take a hit." Hope I don't regret it!

Looking forward to getting to know this car, love it already. I already have the mod bug though... probably should wait a little bit. But just in case, anyone know if the 2012's also need the ECU removed for the APR flash? Or can a shop do it via the OBD port.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had an '09 Avant with the sports package and an ECU remap. That remap really does help. And the sports pack is mandatory

Loved the Avant and used it to haul my kayak. If Audi offered the S4 Avant over here, I would be willing to part with my TTS and go back to just having a single car.

But that two liter engine sure has untapped potential and the Avant is a great do it all car. I think that it even looks better than the sedan. It's such a shame that folks over here don't appreciate wagons and are fixated on SUVs.

Hope you continue to enjoy your Audi!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We're taking the extended warranty. We buy to keep not lease and plan to do the miles. My current Bimmer is 12 years old and was always service by them with the longer warranty. Never had an issue and well worth it. Only a few more days till we get the Avant, cant wait
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For my first post I thought I would chime in as another that made the move from a WRX ('07 Ltd Wagon) to an Avant. Loved the WRX (and the '04 I owned before it) but I haven't regreted it for a second. The Audi is just, well, much nicer...
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lewvsal
I opted to not get the extended warranty. Might get one later but didn't want to shell out the bucks for a 7 year warranty in case i total the car before then.
Is this an independent warranty or did you buy CPO warranty from Audi? Or does Audi offer a factory 7 year warranty? I would consider a 7 year for my wife's new A4

Last edited by steveracer; 11-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugene Chang
First off big thanks to the frequent contributors to this site. Sorry to "copy" many cars on this site, quattro's and other ibis avants. But you guys made it look so good!

6. Looks: stunning.
You have good taste. :-)

6k on mine after 10 months....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on new 12 Avant