A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil pressure low vs drain off oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure low vs drain off oil?

Hello, I have a 2014 A4 TDI 2.0 which has run approx 5k miles. Today while starting the car almost after a gap of 2 days, I hear 3 beeps with warning "switch off engine, oil pressure too low". Somehow the indicators did not continue to show anything else, so I drove home which is few miles and let it stand for half hour. Now the error is gone and MMI oil indicator says "please drain off oil". Is it really low or excess, I am confused...? (I did not check MMI earlier when it showed the error, my mistake) any comments please?
Old 09-18-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Avinashl
Hello, I have a 2014 A4 TDI 2.0 which has run approx 5k miles. Today while starting the car almost after a gap of 2 days, I hear 3 beeps with warning "switch off engine, oil pressure too low". Somehow the indicators did not continue to show anything else, so I drove home which is few miles and let it stand for half hour. Now the error is gone and MMI oil indicator says "please drain off oil". Is it really low or excess, I am confused...? (I did not check MMI earlier when it showed the error, my mistake) any comments please?
I would not have driven the car with that type of warning. But you did and now have another issue which may or may not be a problem. So here's what I would do. I would either do an oil change myself or have a dealer or independent do it. I would also buy a dipstick so you can take a manual oil measurement in the future. Once you have the oil change done and start it up then you can see if the problem still exists and if so resolve it.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

"oil pressure too low" and "please drain off oil" are two mutually exclusive faults.

If your cars tells you to "switch off engine" - do it and have the car taken to the dealer. The first rule of nuclear power was to believe the gauges and alarms.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for replies. But is there a way to do manual dipstick for 2014 version? I could not find it under the hood.
It's a new car and is it normal to have these warnings within 5K and less than a year?

I know I should not have driven, but the warning went away every time the car started and no indicator or anything abnormal whatsoever after that, which made me take a chance to reach home.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for replies. But is there a way to do manual dipstick for 2014 version? I could not find it under the hood.
It's a new car and is it normal to have these warnings within 5K and less than a year?

I know I should not have driven, but the warning went away every time the car started and no indicator or anything abnormal whatsoever after that, which made me take a chance to reach home.
In front of the oil filter there is a flat plastic button that is in a tube. That is where the original dip stick went. You can buy an aftermarket Audi dipstick which plugs into the tube.
You should not have these warnings in a 5K car unless either a sensor is bad or you have a real problem. Either way you need to get it checked.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
In front of the oil filter there is a flat plastic button that is in a tube. That is where the original dip stick went. You can buy an aftermarket Audi dipstick which plugs into the tube.
You should not have these warnings in a 5K car unless either a sensor is bad or you have a real problem. Either way you need to get it checked.
Thanks jagtoes, and I will look for the dipstick spot. Meanwhile while the car is parked waiting for Monday, I think there is some relation between popping the hood and this Oil MMI display. I read somewhere that the switch is near the hood or something. While I pop open and check the status after warming the car, I have seen following status messages "oil info not available" or "please drain" and finally in between also all is well with "oil level ok"
So I guess it's a sensor switch after all..
Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks jagtoes, and I will look for the dipstick spot. Meanwhile while the car is parked waiting for Monday, I think there is some relation between popping the hood and this Oil MMI display. I read somewhere that the switch is near the hood or something. While I pop open and check the status after warming the car, I have seen following status messages "oil info not available" or "please drain" and finally in between also all is well with "oil level ok"
So I guess it's a sensor switch after all..
Correct , the MMI will not read oil level if the hood is open but it will also not read oil level if the engine is cold. You will get the "oil info not available" when the engine is cold.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Low oil pressure is different from low oil level. You can have correct oil level yet there can be something wrong with the oil pump. Low oil is a warning while low pressure is a catastrophic engine issue.

I would call the dealer and follow their directions - you want this on record. Even if they don't find anything wrong it might happen again at some point and it could have extremely expensive consequences.