A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-12-2016, 09:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Specifications & General Maintenace
Print Wikipost

Possibly buying this A4 next week, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying this A4 next week, need advice!

Hey everyone,

I'm usually a truck guy but after searching for a new truck for almost a year now and having no luck, an Audi caught my eye and I'm going to check it out next week. However, I know nothing about these cars and need to know what I'm getting myself into, hopefully not a mess.

The guy might be a member on here, it's located in Ft. Lauderdale FL and here are the details:

50,XXX miles, full exhaust, intake, coilovers, headlight swap, and a front lip, he said it has a CEL light on because the car doesn't have a cat. Also said he is the second owner and has all paperwork and an inspection sheet from Audi.

He is asking $14,000

What should I look for when I go look at this next week? Common problems? Are they expensive to fix? Any help would be great, thanks!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 with 63k miles and I haven't had to fix anything, so I'm not sure how expensive it is to fix, but of course the good news is that I haven't had to.

But your guy has changed a lot of what was stock, so that reliability may have gone up or down. Just don't know. The fact that it's been lowered so severely gives me pause... Maybe I'm just prejudiced on that but it's obviously been subjected to a lot more bumping and jarring than mine because of the suspension.

And I'd suggest getting it inspected at least to verify those CEL error codes. that there aren't more lurking in there than just the cat. Otherwise you are simply taking his word for it. And where I come from that might cause it to fail a smog check.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The most obvious thing would be to inspect under the car for any damage. I would also get a code reader and check for any codes. Most of all ask what the oil consumption is. I don't know about Fl. law but without a cat it won't pass a smog test so you'd need to put money into the exhaust. It looks great but my bet is it won't ride great.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am absolutely going to bring it to Audi to have it go through a full inspection before purchasing the car just so they can run the tests they have to do and put it on the lift so we can see what the underneath looks like. Fortunately I live in FL so we do not have to pass any inspections or smog tests so if the CEL is just for the cats then that is no biggie at all.

When you say to ask about the oil consumption, why is that? Do Audis burn a lot of oil?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they burn oil, but they have a "campaign" to fix it in stages, depending on how severe it is. There's even a class-action lawsuit. It hasn't been anything worse than a slight annoyance for me, but I did get free service to for the "Stage 1" fix. I don't recall exactly what they did.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jbetts772
Hey everyone,

I'm usually a truck guy but after searching for a new truck for almost a year now and having no luck, an Audi caught my eye and I'm going to check it out next week. However, I know nothing about these cars and need to know what I'm getting myself into, hopefully not a mess.

The guy might be a member on here, it's located in Ft. Lauderdale FL and here are the details:

50,XXX miles, full exhaust, intake, coilovers, headlight swap, and a front lip, he said it has a CEL light on because the car doesn't have a cat. Also said he is the second owner and has all paperwork and an inspection sheet from Audi.

He is asking $14,000

What should I look for when I go look at this next week? Common problems? Are they expensive to fix? Any help would be great, thanks!

I saw the picture first before reading and said, "Definitely Ft. Lauderdale. That's A1A". Good luck with it. I live here in FTL.