A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Problem: Car Suddenly Won't Start (Intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Car Suddenly Won't Start (Intermittent)

Hi,

I have a 2010 Audi A4 2.0 Quattro. It has run fine since I've had it, with all normal maintenance and service.

Issue: Car suddenly on two occasions has failed to start. On the same day each time this has occurred it has started multiple times with no signs of any problems, until of course it occurs. When it happens I push the key into the ignition and the car attempts to start. Upon failing, if you continue to try and start the car the attempts become shorter and eventually you just hear a clicking sound coming from the engine (area), and from then if you continue to start the car the battery seems to drain where I was unable to even open open the trunk without having to go through the backseat and pull the emergency release or roll down the windows.

Each time to start the car it has required I simply jump the car. When I do, it starts up the first time without any problem at all as soon as being hooked up to another battery. It will continue to start without any problems until it randomly has this problem. It went about 5 days before doing it the second time after it happened the first. During this time, the car was used many times without any signs of any problems....

Before bringing it anywhere, I was just wondering since I am not a mechanic or know much about cars, if anyone has feedback or knowledge on such an issue and provide any guidance, especially if this is a known or common issue. I've read numerous threads on problems similar, but unsure of the actual outcome(s) or if any information I provided my better tailor any advice to my specific issue.

My thought is it is the battery since upon being hooked up to another car, it starts instantaneously, so it's not pushing the correct voltage when this occurs - but I could be way off and am not a mechanic and someone with more knowledge and expertise can assist me. It's nerve racking never knowing now when the car simply won't start....

Thanks in advance for any advice and help that is provided. It's sincerely appreciated.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy: yes, you need a new battery.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...you really need a new battery. You can get one from Autozone or Advance Auto for about $180. Make sure you get the AGM battery. Or you can have dealer replace it for about $500+. I have a 2010 A4 too and replace myself last year. So far so good.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Guys!

Replaced the battery at Autozone today with top of the line AGM - seems to already start stronger and quicker than it did before, though that could just be perception. Either way, I really appreciate your guys' feedback!

I'll likely be trading it in soon for another (newer) Audi, but have truly enjoyed this car thus far. While this is my first, I'm certainly a fan of Audi's.

-Chris