A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Radio Auto-on

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Auto-on

When I start my car, the radio automatically turns on.

Is there a selection in the MMI (or anywhere) to turn off this 'feature' ?

Thanks.

2014 Allroad P+, Glacier White/Titanium, full paint, sport package, Nav, Keyless, B&O, Side Assist.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

In my previous B8 (first model year) with Nav and B&O remembered mute and play status.
Now with model year 2014 it always turns on and continue to play on the source I used last. (At least it remembers the status of Random play ..)
Old 12-20-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The radio in the MMI 3G+ remembers the volume setting, including mute. So if you mute the radio before turning off the car, it will stay muted when you start the car again. At least that's how mine works. Unfortunately, this is not the case if you are listening to a media source. When listening to a media source, it neither remembers the volume nor if it was muted. It starts playing again with a volume somewhere in the middle of the range.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of my biggest pet peeves of the new Audis. My Q7 did this too. As a Real Estate broker I get in and out of the car multiple times a day with clients and every single $#^%@$! time I have to start the car and then mute the @%^~! radio. Generally this happens mid conversation with my clients as we are talking about the house as we get into the car and the radio comes on... REALLY STUPID logical programming. They should make it like every other car on the planet and if you want to listen to the radio, you turn the radio on, default should be set to radio off not on.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The radio in the MMI 3G+ remembers the volume setting, including mute. So if you mute the radio before turning off the car, it will stay muted when you start the car again. At least that's how mine works. Unfortunately, this is not the case if you are listening to a media source. When listening to a media source, it neither remembers the volume nor if it was muted. It starts playing again with a volume somewhere in the middle of the range.
That's interesting to know, I'll have to check to see if it's the same with the pre-facelift 3G. I very rarely listen to radio, always media, so I've assumed that the un-muting was global. I'll check tomorrow to see if switching to radio then muting is a work-around to not being able to permanently mute it.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The radio in the MMI 3G+ remembers the volume setting, including mute. ..
I had to try that with the radio. But sadly mine doesn't remember mute for the radio either. I have 3G+ (Navigation Plus) and B&O. Model year -14 (Europe).
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=audi8k;24637066]I had to try that with the radio. But sadly mine doesn't remember mute for the radio either. I have 3G+ (Navigation Plus) and B&O. Model year -14 (Europe).[/QUOTE

Likewise, mine won't remember mute.

But, in the case of the radio, it WILL remember the last volume setting. So, now I've taken to turning the volume as low as it will go, before turning off the car. A bit of a PITA.

I wonder if Carista could change this, so that, on starting the car, the car would remember whether the sound system had ben muted or not, when the car was turned off. I have no idea as to the limitations of Carista software possibilities (i.e. what the writers of it can and cannot do in terms of future development).
Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

VCDS can be used to reduce the turn-on volume. This is what I've had to do in my car.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
I had to try that with the radio. But sadly mine doesn't remember mute for the radio either. I have 3G+ (Navigation Plus) and B&O. Model year -14 (Europe).
Last time I visited Germany, I had a 2015 A4 rental with full MMI. It did remember the volume, however, I didn't mute the radio the entire time, so I don't know. However, the European MMI and the North American MMI are quite a bit different at the hardware and software level. Here in the US besides AM/FM, we have HD Radio (Digital AM/FM stations) and Satellite Radio and our traffic data comes over satellite. In Europe you have AM/FM and DAB and your traffic data comes over terrestrial radio and optionally Audi Connect, so I wouldn't be surprised if the radio behaved differently.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
VCDS can be used to reduce the turn-on volume. This is what I've had to do in my car.
I'm relatively new to Audi, and not familiar with VCDS. Is this software available to me, as a consumer? If so, can you give me an idea where I might obtain it? Is Carista an example of VCDS?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Radio Auto-on