A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice about getting an engine replaced (or possibly repaired?) in a 2009 Audi A4 Quattro.

The timing chain slipped causing significant damage to the original engine (see pictures attached), which had around 90k miles on it and had been maintained regularly. The shop I've taken it to has taken it apart as you see, and are recommending replacing the whole engine with a remanufactured one direct from Audi. Their quoted cost is $8100 for the engine and $3000 for the labor (at a cost of $113/hr). However, a mechanic friend of mine has said that they think that cost is outrageous, as they believe either I should be able to get a remanufactured engine for far less, or that the engine should be able to be repaired instead. The current shop is well-reviewed and I've had work done there before, but it was also possibly overpriced ($1200 for a new starter installed).

I was hoping you all could let me know your thoughts on the situation. Is a replacement engine needed, or should the engine be repairable? What should I expect to pay? Also possibly, where could I purchased a remanufactured engine (a web search hasn't been especially fruitful)?

Also, I definitely recommend replacing your timing chain pre-emptively if you have a chain from prior to 2013. It would have saved me a ton of trouble if I had known

Thanks all! Feel free to ask any questions you need, I'm no expert but I should be able to find the answers.
Attached Thumbnails Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0215.jpg   Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0216.jpg   Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0217.jpg   Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0218.jpg   Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0222.jpg  

Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro-img_0224.jpg  
Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my stage2 oil consumption work done, the labor was more than $3100. It was probably half of the $7000 they quoted. It's been a while, I don't remember the exact number.
So at first, your number looks a bit high. Since they don't have to pull the pistons, etc. A new engine should be an easier thing to drop in, and bolt in/connect.

But $8000 for a new engine is nuts. You really should look for a used engine, I've seen those at $3-4000, several years ago. And you could do the oil consumption fix while it is out.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is difficult to make a suggestion without seeing the actual damage. The pictures look like you can repair the engine but depending on the cylinder walls it is hare to see. As for the head if the valve seats and guides are not damaged then it can be rebuilt. Back to the block although there is slight damage to the pistons I would replace them similar to what they do for the oil consumption fix. Your other option would be to get a used engine but replace the timing chain and components. As for cost considering you do an in car rebuild I would say cost should be around $5K.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should consider option #3 to walk away. Unless you are somehow attach to this vehicle. But putting this much time and cost into a 7 years old vehicle does not make sense to most people.

Good luck with your situation.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slonela
You should consider option #3 to walk away. Unless you are somehow attach to this vehicle. But putting this much time and cost into a 7 years old vehicle does not make sense to most people.

Good luck with your situation.
Easy to say but it all boils down to $$$$$. He already has money in it because of the labor involved in the tear down. At this point the car is useless and only worth junk money. His choices are either replace engine with used , rebuild what he has or try to sell it for scrap or a DIY'er for a bargain price. Then there is the cost of a replacement car. So he is in between a rock and a hard place.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@jagtoes, Those are all valid points and should be consider. OP should consider the end value of the vehicle before investing in more $$$. Will not make any sense to invest $$$ on a vehicle the will be worth less than the $$$ invested. "As Is" condition, this might be worth more to someone else as a project car.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks a ton for the responses guys.

I still owe $17k on the vehicle, so walking away isn't likely an option unfortunately (bought it used 18 months ago). The issue happened due to a faulty timing chain design, for which there are currently a number of class action suits pending. So there is hope for an eventual reimbursement. That doesn't help me much now, however.

I've called around and had a couple other quotes in the same ballpark for a new engine.

I'm trying to find someone willing to source me a good used engine but haven't had much success, the only used ("reclaimed") engine I've been offered has 100k miles on it for $4600. And I'm told that a used engine will likely involve additional costs to replace the pistons for the oil consumption issue and the timing chain for that issue anyways, bring the price up to something similar to what a new engine would cost.

I'll try calling the shop it's currently at to get an idea of the damage to the valve seat and guides and cylinder walls, but since they recommended a new engine I somewhat doubt they'll give me good news.

It may be that I need to purchase a used engine online myself, if anyone has recommendations around that I'd appreciate it. I might possibly take it to a shop that charges something less than $113/hour for labor, but the current shop is already charging over a grand for the teardown and diagnosis so I might be stuck.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What did you end up doing? I have 09 Avant had same thing at 142k. Car is near perfect condition just motor is not running due to tensioner failure.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i brought a 2010 avant with the faulty timing chain. replaced timing chain and its running good, all you need to do before replacing the engine or anything is do a leak down test to make sure your pistons rings and valves are ok, if the leak down test is ok you can just replaced the chain, guides and tensioner
Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by dealehman@gmail.com
What did you end up doing? I have 09 Avant had same thing at 142k. Car is near perfect condition just motor is not running due to tensioner failure.
You might want to check out the stuff in https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Thread/page25 , referencing https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...engine-defect/

Quick Reply: Replacement engine for 2009 A4 Quattro