A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

rough, erratic idle and intense shudder

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUA77R0
Apparently the DV is molded into the intake and the entire intake needs to be replaced.
Maybe I'm wrong and someone please let me know if that's the case, but I didn't think the DV was molded into the manifold as one piece. I installed a DV spacer which goes between the DV and manifold, no? If the two were molded together, how was I able to remove the DV? Is it possible that the dealership is actually replacing the DV and not the manifold? (the DV is plastic). I'm blown away that the manifold would be plastic as well.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
Maybe I'm wrong and someone please let me know if that's the case, but I didn't think the DV was molded into the manifold as one piece. I installed a DV spacer which goes between the DV and manifold, no? If the two were molded together, how was I able to remove the DV? Is it possible that the dealership is actually replacing the DV and not the manifold? (the DV is plastic). I'm blown away that the manifold would be plastic as well.
That's what I was told at the time... seemed stupid.

The R.O. states:
Check engine operation. Check fault finding. Multiple faults in system P201500, 227900, 030000. Check engine for air leak & misfire. SOP Intake Manifold (change over valve rod came apart)

Replace Part 06H-133-201-AA (Description: Manifold) warranty
Asked about it again and was told that the valve in question (that came apart) is responsible for changing the intake runner lengths... that is not a DV. Sounds like the old Schrick variable intake I had on my Corrado's VR6. I think that sometimes there is a bit of a disconnect between the technician and the service advisor which leads to a bit of confusion about what has been done during a repair or how systems operate.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I absolutely love these cars and have owned 2 A4 and an S4 in the past. I am however reluctant to jump ship from my lexus due to the reliability issues of this car (and all German cars). I realize that they have warranty, but who wants to be inconvenienced all the time fighting with dealers.

Hopefully the engineers realize they need to focus a smidge more on reliability as much as they have on driveability.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to keep you guys updated, in case anyone else suffers a problem like this...

After another stall and tow (which followed the replacement of my intake manifold) I've been told I have a bad high-pressure fuel pump and also need a fuel injector replaced.

I opened a case with Audi's customer service advocate in Auburn Hills, MI. She said she'd contact the (three) dealers who've been servicing the vehicle and get back to me. When I told her this is the sixth time in five months I've brought it in for this issue, she asked what my expectations were. I told her I expect to have a safe, reliable car, which I don't have now -- and that it's come to the point where we need to start discussing the possibility of replacing the vehicle. She said "we're not in the business of replacing; we're in the business of repairing to warranty specs," which I understand. I sent a letter detailing my issues, so we'll see...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While you're at it, you ought to request that AoA reimburse you for at least a portion of your monthly payment to compensate for all of the downtime that your car has been in the shop for repairs. If you've had an Audi loaner car the entire time you might have less leverage, but if you've been without a loaner or given a car that is not of equal value, you can argue that you aren't paying $XXX per month to drive a YYY brand car. I've seen others similarly compensated when their cars are out of commission for a while. Hopefully you are nearing the end of this terrible situation.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my car back from the third dealer last week, this time with the high-pressure fuel pump and a fuel injector replaced. Audi corporate is reviewing my case and a rep says they'll be in touch on Tuesday to "see what they can do for me" to make this all right.

A concern: the tech's narrative (below) says he found the oil smelled of fuel and the plugs are black in color. Should I be concerned about future problems because of this, or any other red flags you note? I'm wondering if I should press for some kind of warranty extension (I have a three-year lease with extended mileage; I need to look up my warranty terms).

From the tech: "Check engine light is on. Ran GFF, found faults for misfires in all four cylinders. Also found faults for low fuel pressure, and idle below spec. Found that the oil smelled of fuel and plugs are black in color. Replaced high-pressure fuel pump and changed oil and plugs. Test drove vehicle, cleared faults. Found that a fault returned -- misfire number 2. Removed plug and found that the injector is bleeding down pressure now. Remoived inate and replaced number 2 injector. Cleared all faults and reset readiness code."
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ibush01
I got my car back from the third dealer last week, this time with the high-pressure fuel pump and a fuel injector replaced. Audi corporate is reviewing my case and a rep says they'll be in touch on Tuesday to "see what they can do for me" to make this all right.

A concern: the tech's narrative (below) says he found the oil smelled of fuel and the plugs are black in color. Should I be concerned about future problems because of this, or any other red flags you note? I'm wondering if I should press for some kind of warranty extension (I have a three-year lease with extended mileage; I need to look up my warranty terms).

From the tech: "Check engine light is on. Ran GFF, found faults for misfires in all four cylinders. Also found faults for low fuel pressure, and idle below spec. Found that the oil smelled of fuel and plugs are black in color. Replaced high-pressure fuel pump and changed oil and plugs. Test drove vehicle, cleared faults. Found that a fault returned -- misfire number 2. Removed plug and found that the injector is bleeding down pressure now. Remoived inate and replaced number 2 injector. Cleared all faults and reset readiness code."
At the very least, I would push for extended warranty... 100k miles/5-7 years, depending on how much you drive.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default update

Just wanted to update you on my '10 A4 situation. I haven't had any problems since the last (fifth or sixth time? I can't remember) trip to the dealer, when the high-pressure fuel pump was replaced. In the interim, I'd written a letter to the Audi Customer Advocate, which escalated my phone inquiry from a mid-level rep to a senior person who was very willing to try to 'make things right.' I went from being offered half a lease payment (from the earlier rep) to receiving refunds of two payments, an additional 12k warranty, and $2500 toward the purchase/lease of a new Audi. I'm satisfied with that, and pleased with how I was treated. Now let's just hope for no more issues for the next couple years...
The following users liked this post:
Kromemike55 (04-03-2024)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibush01
Just wanted to update you on my '10 A4 situation. I haven't had any problems since the last (fifth or sixth time? I can't remember) trip to the dealer, when the high-pressure fuel pump was replaced. In the interim, I'd written a letter to the Audi Customer Advocate, which escalated my phone inquiry from a mid-level rep to a senior person who was very willing to try to 'make things right.' I went from being offered half a lease payment (from the earlier rep) to receiving refunds of two payments, an additional 12k warranty, and $2500 toward the purchase/lease of a new Audi. I'm satisfied with that, and pleased with how I was treated. Now let's just hope for no more issues for the next couple years...
That's pretty good - I'd be happy with that.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rough idle, fuel pump?

I see this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I'm having the same problem with my 09 Audi. Was the fuel pump the resolution to the rough idle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: rough, erratic idle and intense shudder