A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Simple question re: oil consumption test. I think dealer is screwing me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple question re: oil consumption test. I think dealer is screwing me.

I have a simple question about the consumption test that I cannot find a definitive answer for. Can the dealer run the test without actually draining the oil?

Back story:

2010 A4. In the summer of 2014, I noticed I was adding a lot of oil to the car. Took it in for the oil consumption test and the SA told me they would drain the oil, weight it, I would drive it 650 miles, come back and they would drain and weigh again. I passed their test.

Summer 2015 and several oil changes by a local, trusted shop, I am still adding oil like crazy and it's getting worse. With my warranty about to expire, I bring it in for another test.

It fails. I am getting new pistons and seals.

Today, I get a call from the SA telling me the drain plug was stripped by my local shop during the last oil change and the pan needs to be replaced for $475.
I blame them, saying they just drained it twice in the past month! He tells me they don't drain oil during the test, it's all electronic. I had called Audi earlier today and they confirmed that the oil gets drained during the consumption test.
Is there a way that this dealer could be doing the consumption test without draining the oil? I am 99.99% sure they either screwed up and stripped it during the test, or are just making this up as retribution for using a local shop instead of them for maintenance.

Audi Customer Care (Corp) is on the case. I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Thank you for any expert advice.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the earlier part of the oil consumption test campaign, it appears they were draining and weighing the oil to make a determination. When I had mine done in Feb this year, however they used the oil sensor readings. Pretty much all of the posts I've seen these past months suggest this is how they have been doing the readings. So, it's quite likely your shop screwed up. At least you only have to pay for the part since the pan comes off for the stage 2 fix. It should be less than $200 I believe.

Last edited by jfo; 09-08-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update:

So, between the Audi Customer Experience Center (Corporate) and the shady dealer, I was given so much conflicting information about how the consumption test is done (I was told three different ways by four different people) and the cost of the pan and whether it needs to come off anyway.

Long story - I laid into the service advisor on the phone after corporate refused to push back AT ALL. Corporate was a joke really. I told the dealership I was having the car towed to fix the oil pan and to basically go screw themselves. S.A. tells me to calm down while he goes to talk to his manager. Comes back on the phone and tells me that he just happened to walk by the service bay and saw that my car had an oil pan on. Turns out they had an A4 in the shop with a blown engine so the pulled the pan from that and put it on my car. RIIIIIIGHT.

They got caught in their own web of lies and this was their cover up.

Car is back, I didn't pay a dime and I will never use this dealer again.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audiinnj
Update:

So, between the Audi Customer Experience Center (Corporate) and the shady dealer, I was given so much conflicting information about how the consumption test is done (I was told three different ways by four different people) and the cost of the pan and whether it needs to come off anyway.

Long story - I laid into the service advisor on the phone after corporate refused to push back AT ALL. Corporate was a joke really. I told the dealership I was having the car towed to fix the oil pan and to basically go screw themselves. S.A. tells me to calm down while he goes to talk to his manager. Comes back on the phone and tells me that he just happened to walk by the service bay and saw that my car had an oil pan on. Turns out they had an A4 in the shop with a blown engine so the pulled the pan from that and put it on my car. RIIIIIIGHT.

They got caught in their own web of lies and this was their cover up.

Car is back, I didn't pay a dime and I will never use this dealer again.
which dealer
Old 09-11-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by yakev724
which dealer
Paul Miller Audi, Parsippany, NJ.

My car could breakdown right in front of their shop and I'd have it towed elsewhere. Never again.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car could breakdown right in front of their shop and I'd have it towed elsewhere. Never again.
I've had great experience w Princeton so far, but bought the car from them w/ CPO.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ah, that makes sense and also sparks my curiosity for a retrofit of the aux gages. My question is more related to the red sensor directly opposite the one we are talking about. What does that sender test? That I think is the second sender I am wondering about.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a simple question about the consumption test that I cannot find a definitive answer for. Can the dealer run the test without actually draining the oil?

Back story:

2010 A4. In the summer of 2014, I noticed I was adding a lot of oil to the car. Took it in for the oil consumption test and the SA told me they would drain the oil, weight it, I would drive it 650 miles, come back and they would drain and weigh again. I passed their test.

Summer 2015 and several oil changes by a local, trusted shop, I am still adding oil like crazy and it's getting worse. With my warranty about to expire, I bring it in for another test.

It fails. I am getting new pistons and seals.

Today, I get a call from the SA telling me the drain plug was stripped by my local shop during the last oil change and the pan needs to be replaced for $475.
I blame them, saying they just drained it twice in the past month! He tells me they don't drain oil during the test, it's all electronic. I had called Audi earlier today and they confirmed that the oil gets drained during the consumption test.
Is there a way that this dealer could be doing the consumption test without draining the oil? I am 99.99% sure they either screwed up and stripped it during the test, or are just making this up as retribution for using a local shop instead of them for maintenance.

Audi Customer Care (Corp) is on the case. I will hear back from them tomorrow.

Thank you for any expert advice.
I have a 2010 A4 quattro, bought in 2012 as a CPO car. Was burning oil all the time. Had 2 tests in CT at audi of Fairfield, and it was not burning enough. in July 2014 Moved to Myrtle Beach SC and while driving hard 75-80 mph south in North Carolina, the dash lite up with oil warning, I was down a quart after 650 miles filled it and took it to McDaniels Audi in Charleston in FEB 2015. They did a OIl and filter and said come back after 700 miles. It burned 1/2 a qt in 650 miles. It was a 95 mile trip to charleston from myrtle beach so that put me at 750 miles by the time I got there. They did the wt test. I showed them The lawsuit from California owners was good to 80k and I still had a CPO 6yr 100k warranty. They did pistons and rings. So the head and oil pan had to come off. And then they said oil consumption should be 1qt/5000 miles now. I did much better 1/4 qt used. had oil and filter done in Nov of 2015 by McDaniels. From then to Aug 2017 we drove less than 5000 miles used 1/4 qt. We don't do a lot of mileage on the car. I am out of warranty now and used Mobil 1 Full Syn on doityourself change in august 2017. The car is showing no oil usage after 1000 miles and runs great and is now in CT for the winter as we visit family. Oh ya, I did plugs with the DIY oil change too. I have a 2013 Audi A6 CPO 2.0T still under the 6y/100k warranty that DOES NOT burn a drop. Sooooo, They fixed the problem for 2013. Yes a 2.0t in an A6 Premium Plus getting 31 mpg at 75 mph from SC to CT. Push a dealership hard to get the car fixed. Modern cars today don't really and should not burn oil any more for the most part. So Audi dealers a full of crap if they say it's normal consumption. Look up the lawsuit on line, print it out and carry that paper into the dealer with you and push. Well a honest dealer. Good Luck
Old 11-28-2018, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So many problems with those certain years. I bought my 100k 03 1.8T about 5 years ago from the OO who told me he had never added a drop between 5k changes. The car is now at 157k,and I have never added oil either. Let's hear it for the 1.8!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not surprised at all by your experience. Their sales department is very good, but their service center leaves very much to be desired.